1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How could this have happened?!?!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by P1zzaman, Sep 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. P1zzaman

P1zzaman Thread Starter

Well it's not quite like the feeling you get when you just hear your harddrive cylinder crash.. but it's close.

I was playing Morrowind and then all of a sudden, my computer began to slow down tremendously. The video screen got all messed up, and started doing some trippy colors. Then the computer locked up.

So I rebooted and found that my PNY Verto Geforce4 ti 4200 is not operational. I've had it for only a year, and now everytime when I boot up, my BIOS makes the 1 long beep followed by 3 beeps and I know my video card is dead. Or is it? I am using my crappy Voodoo 5 video right now.

Anyway, is this common? Good thing PNY has a lifetime warranty replacement plan!

-Pizzaman

2. suesman

suesman

So everything is working ok now? With the different video card I mean.

3. P1zzaman

P1zzaman Thread Starter

Ya, everything's "working" fine. I mean, it is an old card, and nothing supports it now, but that's normal.

You know what might have caused the failure of my other card? I mean, I never overclocked it or anything.

I was doing some DirectX programming and didn't correctly release all the video mem... but I have rebooted since then, and I doubt software can do that to my video card?

-Pizzaman

4. compilerxp

compilerxp

As they say... "S**t Happens"...

My PSU blew up... walked out of the room, walked back in 5 mins later and noticed that my computer power light was "ON"... but was silent... oh yeah, DEAD.

Worked on a friend's little Celeron600Mhz Gateway, fixed it up at his home (software wise) - showed him the changes (they had gigabyes of garbage)... 2 days later, it DIED... it's own PSU blew up, but it took out the mobo too... unfortunetly, we didn't have a spare PSU to check it out (Mine had just blown up, so I was using a spare) - so he paid $40 for a junky little gateway 75watt PSU only to find out the board was half fried (He didn't give me the USB keyboard & mouse - which I don't have and his gateway only had USB ports, no PS2)... $220 later, AMD XP1800/256mb/case and a faster system :) Just tossed in the drives, let WindowsME do its thing in 4-5 boots. Of course, with Dictator WindowsXP, you couldn't do that... and there are some reports of Windows XP barfing on changing RAM.

With whats going on... with Nvidia I'd say get an ATI9600Pro.

5. P1zzaman

P1zzaman Thread Starter

Ya, it ATI is in the lead in this GFX race!

-Pizzaman

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165863

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice