How critical is power supply FAN?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BigDaveinNJ

A few weeks ago.... the FAN in my power supply began making noise from time to time. You know... like a crazy vibration as if it needed some lubrication or whatever.

Now.... I have noticed, that this fan is no longer working.

It has been like this for a few weeks now, and nothing has happened. I haven't noticed the supply casing being unusually warm and there have been no odors or anything like that.

Now... i know, it would probably be in my best intrest to replace this fan, but is it absolutely essential? Is this something that I can live with for awhile like this, or should it be done at once?

I am the only one who uses this computer... and I never leave it on when I am not in the room or not at home.

can this power supply exist without the fan or not?

Thanks in advance

DAVID

I dont know if you are just lucky or blessed, but the power supply is like the heart of your system. If temps vary drastically, so could voltage and that could damage more delecate parts. If you decide to work on the fan, be very carefull in the power supply case. There are capacitors that act like batteries and can store large amounts of electricity. Most of the fans have a sticker/label in the middle on one side. If you peal it back, you can put a drop or 2 of oil in there where the bearings are located. If the fan is just dry and gummed up with dust, it should still work. If it is dead, you can usually pickup a fan like that for about $5.00. If i were you, i would fix or replace it as soon as posible. Please be careful however. The fan only runs on 12 volts so it is safe to work on. Just remember-unplugged work only!

Can it exist without the fan? Well obviously it can since it has been running without it for a few weeks. If the load on it is not that great, it might even last indefinantly. But it is also possible its life will be shortened and crap out on you in a while.

If it were me, I would purchase another fan and pick an opportune time to change it out. Take the time to clean the dust out of the PS while you have it apart. Turn the fan so it will be exhausting air out of the case.

VERY IMPORTANT: If you decide to change it yourself, completely remove power from the case(unplugged from the wall outlet) and wait at least 30 minutes for any capacitors to discharge.

On the other hand, you might just want to replace the whole PS as they are cheap enough, and upgrade to a higher capacity.

Otto

EDIT- If you have a spare case fan, and as a short term fix, you could velcro it on the outside of the case PS exhaust. Of course the wiring would have to be long enough to reach inside to connect. :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online