1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How determine GB in use in computer?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by caltrano, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. caltrano

caltrano Thread Starter

I want to buy an external hard drive 2.0 USB but don't know whether to buy 60GB or 80GB. My HP PC says I have "512MB Ram memory" but also says I have "120GB DMA hard drive." How do I determine how much actual MB (or GB) I am using? Thanks

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What operating system are you running?

How much hard drive space remaining doesn't really apply when purchasing an external drive. You have to determine what your external space needs are including what you plan to use the drive for.

3. caltrano

caltrano Thread Starter

Thanks, Helix. How do I go about calculating the GB I need? I just use my PC for visiting web sites (occasionally watching a little video at newspapers and TV networks), creating and saving documents and spreadsheets, and e-mail. I have Windows XP Home.

Also, I am confused about the 120GB "ultra hard drive"--how does that square with the 448MB RAM (I understand 1GB=10,030MB, which wouid equate to 44.7GB).

Thanks again.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Why do you think you need an external hard drive if you don't store much data on your computer? External hard drives are good for full system backups, but then you should have one close to your drive's capacity so it can handle such a task.

You're confusing RAM and hard drive storage. RAM is memory. It's what's used when you open programs. Hard drive space is where your files are stored (e-mail spreadsheets, music, pictures, etc.).

To see how much hard drive space is remaining, right-click on My Computer and click Manage. Then click on Disk Management.

5. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    If you are talking about the GB and MB listed in the typical sales specifications for a hard drive, 1 GB = 1,000,000,000 Bytes or 1,000 MB.

If you are talking about GB and MB disk capacities and file sizes as reported by Windows, 1 GB = 1,073,741,824 Bytes or 1,024 MB.

Not sure where you got your "1GB=10,030MB" numbers. :confused: :confused:

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544349

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice