1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How Did it Know it Was Me?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by forms, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. forms

forms Thread Starter

I went to Hushmail.com and set up 47 accounts for my girlscout troop. No problem; I did it one Sunday morning from Starbucks and it took a couple hours using their connection.

Then I went to the girlscout meeting at the school and had the girls open their assigned accounts. All of them got the same message, something about how too many accounts were opened which might indicate spam or illegal activity so this computer was banned. Thing is, the girls were all on different computers in the school's computer lab. Hushmail said if it wasn't spam or illegal activity, contact them and they would lift banning my computer. I did and never heard back from them.

When I got home I tried to go in again to see if they lifted the ban on my computer. Again it said my COMPUTER was banned (not the accounts closed/banned, but the computer). I cleared cookies, history, deleted all my certificates and dis an ipconfig dns flush. I did not want to have to re-enter 47 email accounts. Nothing worked. I'd had 3 didn't IPs (the school, my home and Starbucks), and Hushmail said it recognized my computer and had banned it. How is that possible?

I ended up re-entering them all with yahoo mail. But still. Was their message just incorrect? They meant to say they banned the 47 accounts, not my computer?

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

It looks from your description that they banned all of the accounts, because you said the girls were on different computers and could not access the accounts.

It looks like they also banned your computer. The can do this because the network card in your computer has a MAC address that is unique to the network adapter hardware. The MAC address is sent with each data packet; and that MAC address doesn't change, no matter if you are at home, or school, or Starbucks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024533

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice