1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How did you cope after losing your dog?

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by telecom69, Aug 2, 2006.

Advertisement
  1. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten Thread Starter

Hi there, On Monday I had to have my dog put to sleep after 12 years my faithful friend had gone from me forever,and Im finding it very hard at the moment to cope with this,dont feel like eating,cant sleep properly and at times just get overcome with weepy periods,I know its only two days yet and I expect that slowly I will come to terms with it,but at the moment it really is so damn hard....Im getting on a bit and have never experienced anything as hard as this,not even with the deaths of humans I have known,would like to hear from others who have gone through this....how did you cope ? thank you ...

2. katonca

katonca

I'm sorry to hear of your lost. It must be very hard on you.

When I was young we lost a pet after about that length of time and since I had grown up with the pet, it sure felt like I lost a buddy. I cried for quite a while.

3. Jonesiegirl

Jonesiegirl Guest

Go to the nearest shelter and love on the dogs yearning to be adopted into a forever home.

4. wacor

wacor Banned

Until one has a pet it is not possible to understand the grief involved when one loses their pet. I can understand your situation. When my wife goes to vist her relatives she takes our dog with her and it is quite lonely around without the dog. It just is not the same.

To some it is difficult to think about finding a new pet. My brother felt that way when he lost his dog after 10 years but after a few days he got a new dog of the same breed and it helped him.

If you are not ready to accept getting a new dog full time then you could look into doing what our neighbors do. They take in dogs for folks that need a dogsitter for a week or two. They got on a list for the local leader dog org. to do that for folks that need a break from the dog or or are going on a vacation.

Good luck, just remember there will be better days

5. dotty999

dotty999

First Name:
    Dotty
    I lost my Irish setter after fifteen years and it took me a long time to get over it, however I didnt feel I could replace her with another... so I got two cats who are like the babies I never had:) I have to say I prefer pets to people any day so perhaps you could think of a different pet for company

6. bomb #21

bomb #21

The last time we lost a pet hit me harder than any other time. Grief counselling exists as an option, although I didn't personally try it then nor have I ever. It took me 2 months to be able to say to myself "I don't feel so bad about it now" -- some family members thought I'd completely "lost it", particularly when I arranged cremation. Then again, some use denial as a way of "dealing" with things.

So, all I can tell you from my experience is that you have to take each day as it comes & you should feel less bad over time. :)

rgds, bomb -- RIP Lister.

7. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    telecom sorry to hear about your loss.

We had a cat for just short of 15 years when we had to put him to rest. It was the hardest decision I ever had to make but due to his old age and illness it was best for him. I cried like a baby for the first few days and less as time went by but even today a tear almost hits sometimes. I can't say I've done that for many people. We had Barney cremated and in a way he is still with us, the urn is where we can see it. Quite often I call one of our other cats by his name so even after 5 or 6 years his memory is still with us.

At this stage it's still tough but with time it does get easier.

I have but one piece of advice svp. Don't try and replace a pet with another. It doesn't work as they all are individual. I found that out the hard way. When and if the time is right to get a new companion you'll know it. It will feel right and it will feel great.

Keep your chin up.

8. johnnyburst79

johnnyburst79

I was upset for quite a few days. Best thing for me was to do lots of other things. The LAST thing on my mind was getting another dog. No dog could replace mine.

Recently (last year) my cat was taken from me by an ex. She (the cat) was crying, I was crying, it was hard. It is just not the same to have something there for you. But, you move on and keep living.

9. franca

franca

I totaly agree with this......(y)

We have lost faithful freinds and know how you are feeling, you will never forget, but it is the best thing you can do......

Look what we are blessed with now....... cute as a button Jaki......:)

Rainbow Bridge.

Just this side of heaven is a place called the Rainbow Bridge.
    When an animal dies, that has been especially close to
    Someone here, that pet goes to the Rainbow Bridge. There
    are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can
    Run and play together. There is plenty of food ,water, and sunshine. And our friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals who have been ill and old are restord to health and vigor;
    those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and
    times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing
    - they each miss someone very special to them who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks up into the distance. His bright eyes are intent:his eager body begins to quiver.

Suddenly he begins to run from the group. Flying over the green green gress, his legs carrying him faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face, your hands again caress tha beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of you pet, so long gone from your life but never absent in your heart.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together ..............

Attached Files:

10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

I'm sorry about the loss of your faithful friend.

11. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts

telecom: Very sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved pet! :( I went througfh the deaths of many family pets...you just have to keep the good memories alive....and yes...eventually find a new pet that needs a home as Kath suggested! And ignore anyone who posts mean things...it's not the slightest bit humorous in a thread like this...it's downright mean! (n)

12. SlackAli

SlackAli Account Closed

We lost two of our dogs in 2004: brother and sister border collie/springer crosses, both 14. Luckily we had a third dog, the son of Henry who died in 2004, so we at least had some sense of continuation and a friend who continued to need walks and love. I feel for you, and this won't make you feel much better, but I still get really upset about the loss of Henry and Katie

No, you're a fool.

13. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    ZZZ if you have any sense at all you will edit your post.

14. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I'll second that. After the loss of my cat of almost 20 years, we swore that we wouldn't have anymore pets. 6 months later, Chava found us :) She's totally different from any other cat we've had and has brought much joy and happiness to our life.

One thing I will add....is DO NOT put away any toys, bedding, basket, etc. until YOU are good and ready to put it away, despite what others may say or think.

AZ.......... :( come on, I know you are an animal lover. I don't think it's the right time for jokes :(

As a side note, how have you been? Long time no see.

15. zzz

zzz

humor is a way of litening a situation...nothing 'mean' intended.
    It's my style (you should know)
    'angels' are not judges.
    get-off the 'heavy' and get another dog. smpl.
    There are lots of them that need a good home.
    woof-woof..pant-pant.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488946

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice