1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How difficult is it to upgrade HDD on a Compaq Presario v4000?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bonecrusher123, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bonecrusher123

Bonecrusher123 Thread Starter

hey guys, i just did a scan with 'HD Tune 3.50 Pro' and it found one 'damaged block' and from what i can tell it isn't possible to repair it?

does anyone know how i can replace the hard drive?

i was thinking about replacing the RAM. how difficult is this?

thanks

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Run the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostics on the drive. If it outright fails the drive then replace it. In some cases the hard drive diagnostics will offer to repair a bad sector, in which in case you can do that. But repairing or replacing the drive is up to you. There's no guarantee you won't have more bad sectors or problems with the drive, or it could work perfectly for several more years. If you do keep it then keep an eye on it using HD Tune and regardless if you replace it or not make sure you are making backups of all important data or the whole system.

The access the hard drive and memory, there should be panels on the bottom that remove with a few screws to reveal the drive and memory.

Which V4000 do you have: http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?...s&h_product=434655&h_page=hpcom&lang=en&cc=us

You may have to remove the existing memory to go larger depending on what is in there now.

For the hard drive you can clone all your software and data if you buy a USB enclosure or adapter.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I've merged your two threads into this one thread, please do not post duplicates.

4. Bonecrusher123

Bonecrusher123 Thread Starter

alright, thanks man. i didn't realise i had made another thread, i thought it was deleted.

what other software diagnostic tools would you recommend?

thanks

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The hard drive diagnostics would be the one from the manufacturer's site. For example if the drive is made by Western Digital use the WD Diagnostics from their site, if its a Seagate then use SeaTools from their site to test the drive.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914829

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice