1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How disable touchpad on Gateway M-6827 Laptop PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kirkmiller, Apr 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kirkmiller

kirkmiller Thread Starter

How do I disable the touchpad? I am running Vista Home Premium.
    There is no Function key to enable/disable the touchpad.
    I disabled the touchpad by going to Control Panel, Mouse, and disabling the touchpad device. But after I restarted the PC, the touchpad was enabled and the touchpad doesn't show up as a device when I use Control Panel.
    In Mouse Properties, the only two items are PS/2 Compatible Mouse and HID-compliant mouse.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Go into the Device Manager, then expand the Mice and other pointing devices heading.

Is the touchpad listed there so you can disable it?

-----------------------------------------------------------

3. kirkmiller

I went to Control Panel, Devices, and the only two items are HID-compliant mouse and PS/2 Compatible Mouse. Other suggestions?

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You didn't say if that laptop has an ALPS or SYNAPTICS or different brand touchpad.

It's my guess the software driver package for it hasn't been installed, so it's not appearing in:
    Control Panel - Mouse
    Control Panel - Device Manager - Mice and other pointing devices

You may need to disable it in the BIOS screen.

---------------------------------------------------------

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I just checked the drivers and downloads section for the Gateway M-68 series laptops, and it appears it has a SYNAPTICS touchpad.

It looks like you need to have the software driver for it installed so you can access its settings so you can disable it.

Attached Files:

6. kirkmiller

It has/had a synaptics touchpad. Like I said in my original post, I did disable the touchpad, but after I restarted the PC, the touchpad was enabled. When I disabled the touchpad, the touchpad was turned off. A window popped up saying that its driver would be disabled. Perhaps the driver was disabled when I restarted the PC; I don't know. I can't figure out why the touchpad was enabled. And I don't know why the touchpad doesn't show up as a device now. Since the touchpad isn't listed as a device, I can't turn it off. But why does the touchpad work?

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Did you view my image in post #5 so you can see what I'm talking about, as far as how to disable the touchpad?

Is Synaptics Touchpad (or something similar to that) in the "Programs And Features" list?

----------------------------------------------------------

8. kirkmiller

Yes, I saw your image. And that is how I disabled the touchpad yesterday. But now the "Device Settings" tab no longer appears in Mouse Properties. No, the "Programs and Features" list has nothing about Synaptics or a touchpad.

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If that's case, reinstall the Synaptics touchpad software driver package.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/synaptics_touchpad_driver.html

Download and save the ZIP file into an empty folder, then extract its contents into that same folder, then double-click the "Setup.exe" file to start the install process.

10. kirkmiller

Thank you! I downloaded and installed the Synaptics driver, and disabled the touchpad. The touchpad was disabled. When I restarted the PC, the touchpad was enabled. I guess that I have to disable the touchpad every time I start the PC. If you have a way for me to disable the touchpad permanently, please let me know. If not, I will disable the touchpad every time I start the PC. At least I can disable it now. Thanks again!

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm glad to hear we got the touchpad issue "partly" resolved.

I'm a desktop user and rarely use a laptop. When I do, I use a USB wireless mouse with it. I've never tried to disable the touchpad.

------------------------------------------------------------

12. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I have an ASUS netbook that I need to disable every time. I had a Micron laptop (circa 2000) thatIi had to disable at bootup every time. I have an Acer netbook that I disabled once and it stays disabled. Bottom line: there is no standardization; it depends on the manufacturer.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Right click desktop and select Personalization. In left column click Change mouse Pointers. If you have a Synaptics tab, click on that.

My Elan pad has a setting that can be selected to Disable when external USB pointing device plug in.

If you see that, this is what you want to select.

Attached Files:

13. kirkmiller

I, too, am a desktop guy who rarely uses a laptop. A friend gave me an unusable laptop that I was able to resurrect, and I wanted to turn off the touchpad because I always use a mouse. Thank you for your help!

14. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome. :)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146410

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice