1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do computer shops re-install Windows?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by computersaurus, Dec 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. computersaurus

computersaurus Thread Starter

Hi everyone!

I am trying to figure out how computer fixit shops deal with the issue of having to re-install Windows many times over and over. Especially in cases where the customer only has the Key and no install CD. Do people put together a set of CD's covering all versions of XP, Vista and 7? What is the best solution to this?

Thanx!

- Computersaurus

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    They would have their own CD's for each version of Windows that they would use with the customer's product key, unless the customer has their own.

3. computersaurus

Thanx Triple6. So, my next question would be how does one go about getting all the versions of Windows for this purpose? I just started at a small town computer shop.

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I believe they get OEM System Builder packs from Microsoft.

5. computersaurus

OEM System Builder pack sounds like a system for installing fresh copies of Windows on machines you are building and selling.

Does this also cover fixing used machines? The typical scenario is a customer bringing in a computer and all they have is the Windows Key but not the actual Windows CD. I run into this on a daily basis at my job. I am assuming that most computer repair shops have some sort of easy solution to this. Rather than trying to get a CD from the manufacturer on every instance.

I'm also starting to wonder how this plays out between OEM and Retail versions of Windows. Most computers I see have an OEM copy on them but I imagine shops must run into people with a retail copy of Windows installed that do not have their CD as well.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    They build up a collection of discs as they order and repair systems.

You don't really need a Gateway OEM, Dell OEM CD, HP OEM disc, you just need a generic OEM disc(or a retail disc).

If a customer doesn't have recovery disc for his system then that's too bad unless they want to order one and wait for it, and then those discs belong to the customer; generally you just use an OEM disc for the reinstall.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031249

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice