1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do dual video cards work?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Starcade, Dec 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Starcade

Starcade Thread Starter

Hello!

It seems as if every gamer has dual video cards these days. I have another PCI-E slot just sitting there and would love to add another video card on top of my Nvidia 8800 GT.

Do I need to get a certain video card, or can I pick any one? (I didn't know if it's like dual memory where you have to have the same amount of memory in each video card [i.e. - two 512MB cards, two 1GB cards, etc.])

Also, if I'm running two video cards...which one do I plug the monitor into?

Thanks!

2. darkwade

darkwade

well it depends how you set it up what you plug in to(sometimes you can use all the outputs).
    the second Graphics card not only adds more Vram but also works kinda like a multi core cpu(even though GPU all ready have hundreds of cores now)
    you can also on some MOBO's enable the integrated Graphics and use them hybrid SLI or as a different display all together( one for DVD's/desktop one for games kinda like the one I built my dad)

make sure your board supports two nvidea cards because some only support duel ATI cards

3. sup2a

sup2a

Dual Video cards are not worth the extra money, you need the exact same card IF its an Sli (nivida's dual card) board, if its a Crossfire (ATi' dual card) your going to need 2 Ati cards, you cant run SLi on a crossfire board and its debatable whether you can Crossfire on an SLi board, however dual cards are not worth it they cost double the money (2 cards) and in good cases will increase performance by 15%

4. Danielvt

Danielvt

First of all you will need a expensive mobo with two PCI-Express 16! aaanddd ! then you plug in Both of them and get some kinda bridge (i never tryed it so i don't know where to get them try asking your local inporter)
    then you simply just start up your com and it should have double as good graphichs :) but mate..to be honest..WASTE of money! go with a bigger vid card instead of 2 small ones..works better :)

- Daniel

5. darkwade

darkwade

well the users above are right in telling you that sli is for the most part a waist of money, but I do have to disagree also some of the Nvidea GTX give a boost of up to 30-40% and as the technology gets better you might even see a 100% Sli some day.

Multi GPU's are good for running more than one graphically intense program at once, running two screens at once, it also kinda sounds cool lol

6. sup2a

sup2a

lol i think thats what it is for quite a few people, sounds cool - bragging rights, or just plain more money than brains is the normal especially people running tri SLi or even tri SLi with dual GPU cards, ive seen some guy running tri SLi watercooled extreme processors the lot... does it mean hes happy? nope, only a few months before Nvidia released the new GTX2*0 range, massive waste of money in his eyes, spend around $10,00 on his computer.

7. darkwade

darkwade

well the same people that buy SLI are mostlikely willing to overclock to the max for a extra 20% and risk cooking a $200-$1000 CPU, or the people that pay twice as much for a brand.

I do like overclocking old computers just for fun :p

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/775135

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice