1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do get a DVD-ROM to play?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by baileycorra, Feb 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. baileycorra

baileycorra Thread Starter

Hi all,

I'm a newbie and need help! I need to purchase a program that plays on my computer's DVD-ROM drive. I've never tried playing a DVD on this computer before, so I tried playing a regular DVD movie, but it wouldn't play in WMP. I thought it would play automatically, so I checked WMP Help, and it said this:

"To play DVDs, you must have a DVD-ROM drive, and a software or hardware DVD decoder installed on your computer. If you do not have a compatible DVD decoder installed, DVD-related commands, options, and controls do not appear in the Player and you cannot play DVDs. By default, Windows does not include a DVD decoder. For more information about DVD decoders, see Windows Help.
    This feature is only available on select versions of Windows. For more information, see Special features. "

When I clicked on "Special Features" it said playing DVDs on WMP 9 Series is available only with Windows XP. I have Win 98SE - does this mean I can't play DVD's on my system? Or if I can, how do I do this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :) Thanks in advance,

Kirsty

2. Elf-stone

Elf-stone

VLC media player will play DVDs on Windows98.
    http://www.videolan.org/

After you install the program, click 'file/open disk', click DVD(menu) or DVD, and where it says "device name" , put in the drive letter of your DVD drive if it is different than the default D:

3. baileycorra

baileycorra Thread Starter

Hi Elf-Stone and thanks for your reply!

I installed VLC and did what you said and, it worked! :D I really appreciate your help! After reading some other posts about installing codecs and such I was afraid it was going to be a long, complicated process, but this is a great simple solution! :p

Kirsty

4. Elf-stone

Elf-stone

You're very welcome. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/444840