1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do get files from Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nano511, Aug 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nano511

Nano511 Thread Starter

I was having problems with my Desktop so i called HP and they said my motherboard/graphics driver went bad. When i turn the computer on the screen doesnt come on, and if it does come on it soon freezes or shuts off.

Anyway, I never made a back-up of my files and the people at HP said everything would be erased if i sent the computer to them. So my question to you guys is how can i get to the files from the HardDrive to either put on a CD or send to my email?

I have a windows 7 desktop and my cousins also have a windows 7 desktop although they are not the exact same model. Im just saying this incase its possible to tempararily move my HardDrive from my computer to another similar computer.

2. flyer0101

flyer0101

First Name:
    Dylan
    Welcome to TSG.

Assuming they both use the same connectors I.E SATA you could plug it into another computer easily but you have to make usre that their computer will still boot off there HDD so you dont want to take out their HDD, also make sure you use a different sata cable because if you plug it into the same lpug theirs was in it will try boot into your HDD. Make sure if you do put ur HDD in their computer that you also plug the power from the PSU into the HDD aswell.

3. Nano511

Nano511 Thread Starter

Im sorry flyer but im terribly confused. Could you explain it step by step? And please make it as simple as possible.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

It is possible that the problem is the hard drive, too. If so, the files my be lost. Hard drives fail all the time.

If they are retrievable, you will either need to remove the drive and connect it to another machine, or if your hardware will allow it, boot the machine with an operating system that runs from a CD and get your files.

Parted Magic disk partitoning tool (Bootable CD image)
    If you prefer a bootable USB key, download and run Linux Live USB Creator. Choose the Parted Magic distro, and it will download it and automatically create a bootable USB key.

This CD (or key) contains many useful tools. You can partition, recover files, recover lost partitions, make disk images (by several different methods), transfer files between media, scan for viruses (It can serve as an Alternative Trusted Platform for search and elimination of rootkits and bootkits), examine and benchmark hardware, access the internet, and much more.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1012519

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice