1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I add more PC 100/133 Memory ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by highfiber1, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. highfiber1

highfiber1 Thread Starter

:confused:

XP Pro, PIII 733, which uses PC 100/133 RAM -(Compaq custom Presario 7000 series) - I have (1) PC 133 stick, and am trying to use (1) PC100 60MB and (1) PC100 256, in addition to the stock stick that cam with the PC.

I keep getting a memory error, and my system won't recognize the PC100 sticks. The nutty thing is, I had this stuff working before I installed XP Pro.

Is there a Bios or Memory setting somewhere, where I can make my system recognize the PC100? I need more than the 128, and I'm trying to limp along until I can build a better, newer system. That costs $$ though!

What am I doing wrong...or not doing right? Can I use the PC 100 again?

Thanks!

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Highfiber1:

You didn't advise the exact model number of your Compaq Presario, except it's a 7000 series. There are numerous model numbers in the 7000 series. Can you be more specific? How many RAM slots does it have?

From what I've read at the Crucial site, if it has 3 RAM slots, it possibly supports a maximum of 768 MB of RAM.

PNY(a well-known maker of RAM modules) advises to use PC100 modules if the processor speed is less than 1 GHz, and to use PC133 modules if the processor speed is more than 1 GHz.

I have a Compaq Presario 5900T with a 733 MHz Pentium III processor. It has 3 RAM slots and supports a maximum of 384 MB of RAM. I use PC100 modules in it.

3. highfiber1

highfiber1 Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response Flavallee! I think I know just enough about PC's to really break something. I need help. I have a buddy at work that builds PC's, and I need to give him a break... This site rules...so far :)

The only model # I can find is this: 7EL1 KMAT CTO - 3 slots for memory, 768 max, 256 module size
    mainboard is the Compaq 06BCh
    system bios 686S6

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If it supports 768 MB of RAM, that means you can install a 256 MB module in each of the 3 slots. If you're using Windows 98/98SE or Windows ME, 384 MB of RAM is plenty. A 128 MB module in all 3 slots will do the trick. (y)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327042

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice