1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I add the Value pack to Access 97 or save a file that MS Word

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by bassetman, Jan 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten Thread Starter

can easily access?
    I believe the format it likes is .WAB, but I can't save my Access database in that format! :(
    Thanks
    John

2. downwitchyobadself

downwitchyobadself

Hi John. What is it that you're trying to export to Word? An entire db, or just a report or two? You might try using the Office links button with a report open in preview, save it as an RTF file... Otherwise, can you explain what it is you want to do, and what sort of data you have?

3. bassetman

What I want to do is create a database of names and addresses that I use regularly, then when I go to print the envelope I can browser to that addy or export any of them to MS Word to be printed.

I hope I made sense here! ;)

Thanks
    John

4. downwitchyobadself

downwitchyobadself

So, how about using a mail merge?

5. bassetman

That's what I've been trying, but it is very cumbersome and some times non-functional!
    John

6. downwitchyobadself

downwitchyobadself

Hmm. I'm not sure I understand why you're having a problem? A mail-merge should be very straightforward. What steps have you taken thus far? Do you know why it's running slowly, or not running at all? What happens?

7. bassetman

I think it's during a full moon cycle tho! :rolleyes:
    When it does work I can only select one record and I need to know the # of the record ahead of time or I need to start all over again.

The most common error is this file format is not available.

Here is one way I can get it to work.
    Create a data base in Word.

[​IMG]

Put the cursor in a field as in 2 in this case. Then select Tools/Envelopes and Labels.

[​IMG]

It then inserts that into the Print box.

[​IMG]

Then I try to save it as an address book. THis is usually where I cannot re-open it and use it again.

[​IMG]

Sorry for the lag times in my responses.

Thanks for any help!

John

8. downwitchyobadself

downwitchyobadself

Hmm. John, I admit it, you've completely lost me. I thought we were talking about an Access database. What's a Word "database" got to do with it? :confused:

Very simply: if you've built a query in your Access db which gets your address details as you'd like from a given table, then you open MS Word, choose Mail Merge, and on step 2, Get Data, choose Open Source, in the drop-down list in the open dialog choose MS Access Databases, and then navigate to your db file, you should see your queries and be able to merge, no problemo.

Other than that, I have to confess, I really don't understand what you're trying to do...

Unless you mean you're trying to make a Word table into an Access DB? This is not such a fine idea. Word is not a database manager, Access is. You're basically trying to turn an apple into an orange. No surprise the mdb won't open, if that's what you're trying to say?

9. bassetman

Is there an easy way to make a mailing list in Access that I can easly print individual envelopes from without a long and complicated merging process? :confused:

I hope this makes it easier for all of us.

Thanks
    John

10. downwitchyobadself

downwitchyobadself

Now that's a question I can answer ;). Very simple: open the Northwind sample database that came with Access (will probably be found in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Samples, depending on how you installed). In the database window, reports tab, you will see a report called Customer labels, which does exactly what you're trying to do, only as mailing labels. If this won't work (and it's much simpler than having to mess with envelopes, but maybe you have letterhead envelopes or some such...), you can just create a report whose dimensions equal that of an envelope, set up your printer accordingly, and boom. I recommend spending some time poking around in Northwind.mdb if you're not familiar with Access, to get an idea how good it is at the kind of thing (if I understand you correctly) you're trying to do.

Let us know if we can be of further assistance (and trust me, this direction doesn't only make it easier on us...)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66809

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice