1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I allow temporary Wifi access?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by InsolentSquirrel, Nov 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. InsolentSquirrel

InsolentSquirrel Thread Starter

Hello,
    I use a Belkin wireless router in my home, and my teenage son just obtained a netbook running Windows CE with wifi. How can I allow temporary access to our wifi network without storing the password in his computer and allowing him to get on the web anytime he wants? We have had past issues with internet conduct and I want to be careful.

Thanks,
    I.S.

2. buffoon

buffoon

I honestly believe that the problem stated is not so much technical but one of relationship and attitude. And if trust is as bad as it sounds, instrumented technical limitations won't solve the issue.

Changing the password, say every night at nine is about as cumbersome as repeatedly terminating a previously and specifically set unsecured connection (where the neighbors can log in). There are, of course, programmes that'll limit time of access (one of our networking gurus may pipe in) but since you're not running a shop for briefly visiting clients, you might as well confiscate the netbook for the night. Seems that you'd consider that too draconian (my guess) but it wouldn't be much different from monitoring, openly or on the sly.

Just my opinion but anyone can find a way around technical, parental is more difficult (and don't we know it?).:)

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Have you checked for possible solutions in the router user manual or configuration pages? Maybe enable MAC Address filtering when you don't want him on. Maybe allow his netbook internet access only at set times. Of course, all these mean you need to physically secure the router.

4. InsolentSquirrel

I wanted to clarify something: I hoped maybe there was just a way in Windows CE to enter our wifi network password for him (& close it down later), where it wouldn't save it in the settings afterward. If not possible, we also thought of maybe creating an admin user account that has the wifi settings stored, but only logging him onto that user account when we allow.

Thanks to both who responded - yes, it is most important for him to earn trust, since he will be out on his own someday & free to look at whatever crap he decides. Right now I'd just rather it not be enabled while he's in my house for the next several formative years.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Why didn't that occur to me? :) I don't know Windows CE, but after entering the encryption key there may be the option for "save" or "don't save" or maybe for "one time use" or "auto connect."

The wireless client built into Windows 7, Vista and XP each has choices like that. If on Windows CE the wireless profile (which would include the key) is automatically saved you could immediately delete the profile. That should keep the computer connected, but after a disconnect it will not be able to reconnect.

6. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I didn't even know they had Windows CE netbooks out there. I even Google Searched and couldn't find one.

7. InsolentSquirrel

Last night we looked at the wireless network settings and couldn't find a "don't save password" option. And apparently you can't create additional user profiles in this version of Windows CE - it just has "Owner"...like it's the only profile can be used. This is my first exposure to CE...I hoped the experts could tell me. Let me know if you have any other ideas...
    Yes, apparently they make netbooks with CE...he just bought it new. Looks like a very scaled-down version of XP.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm surprised that there are new netbooks with CE. Are these left over from years ago, or really new (as in manufactured this year or last)?

9. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Isn't there SOHO routers with parental controls which allows restrictions of internet access to certain devices based on parameters you set for time of day and which day of the week?

10. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Most of the Soho routers I have had over the past 6 years have had MAC based filtering. Now it is easy enough to spoof a mac address of course but maybe not so on a Window CE netbook.

It would be nice if you could just block all access after a certain time of of night.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Many SOHO routers do have the ability to block access by MAC Address and time of day. Just a quick check shows that my TRENDnet TEW-432BRP does not, but my DIR-615 does (see attached).

Attached Files:

12. dpl

dpl

restrict his mac address when you do not want him access the net

13. InsolentSquirrel

Thank you all again. It appears with this netbook there is no simple setting like I hoped, but I am looking into the capabilities of the router we have, and I may need to get a different router that can restrict access like you describe. I also am looking at different software that restricts web content & e-mails me what pages were viewed & what was searched, as long as I can control with a password how it is deactivated or un-installed on the netbook. If I run into any trouble I will consult the experts again...

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026196

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice