How do I back up the registry in WinXP?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

helpseeker

I just switched from Win98SE to XP and am slowly learning the new system. How do I back up the registry in XP?

MS recommends using the Backup utility to backup the whole registry:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308422/

If you want to just back up a single entry you can do:
Goto Start > Run, and type in regedit.

Once in regedit, goto File > Export and name it "Backup" or something like that =).

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Note that backing up the registry isn't like a real backup, and many issues that occur can't be recovered simply by use of a registry backup. I recommend you consider a real backup of the boot partition, a much better option. Acronis True Image is the product I use to backup my bootable partitions.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online