How do I back up the registry?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

awalker0878

Removed by request
start/run/regedit/file/export/export range all/save

you might want to compress this file to save disk space since it is a backup that just contains text

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
Once you have backed it up, what/when do you plan to use it for??

If you now make changes, and import the registry backup, the operation that happens is a merge. Meaning, any keys that were added since the backup will still be there.
It is NOT a replace operation.

If you want to do a "true" restore, you should be using System Restore.

Or, if it is strictly the registry you wish to keep a copy of, use a utility like ERUNT.

bko376

Okay.. I'll do a system restore. There's a topic somewhere near here made by me. Further explaining....

awalker0878

Removed by request
fine you could also just backup using microsoft backup %systemroot%\SYSTEM32\CONFIG to a backup filer or

run these commands to backup:

@echo off
mkdir %systemdrive%\backup
REG SAVE HKLM %systemdrive%\backup\HKLM.hiv
REG SAVE HKU %systemdrive%\backup\HKU.hiv
REG SAVE HKCU %systemdrive%\backup\HKCU.hiv
REG SAVE HKCC %systemdrive%\backup\HKCC.hiv

run these commands to resore:

@echo off
REG restore HKLM %systemdrive%\backup\HKLM.hiv
REG restore HKU %systemdrive%\backup\HKU.hiv
REG restore HKCU %systemdrive%\backup\HKCU.hiv
REG restore HKCC %systemdrive%\backup\HKCC.hiv

just create to seperate batch files or extract the ones in the zip file and run

Attachments

awalker0878

Removed by request
I do not suggest using system restore as virues and spyware can be backed up there. Also system restore slows down your computer as every it "tracks" every file on your computers. Anther thing if you want the registry backed up it only takes 50mb whereas system restore by default will take up 12% of your harddrive

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
awalker0878 said:
I do not suggest using system restore as virues and spyware can be backed up there. Also system restore slows down your computer as every it "tracks" every file on your computers. Anther thing if you want the registry backed up it only takes 50mb whereas system restore by default will take up 12% of your harddrive
Well, it certainly doesn't back up/track every file. And, if you wish to control the disk it takes (cheap as it is), you can change the setting.

If you are "just" going to do an almost immediate restore of the registry, there probably is little risk doing it with a batch file.

But, once you move more than even a few hours from the backup (given the pc is still being used productively), you start to run more and more of a risk, that the restored registry does not mirror the disk and file system.

System restore reduces this risk.

And, if it is JUST a specific key that you wish to backup, use Regedit, select the key you wish to backup and then File > Export.

awalker0878

Removed by request
you still did not address the issue of spyware/viruses. Symantec and Macfee both recommend disabling System restore before doing a removal of spyware or viruses. Since spyware and virus can infect machines so frequently, and disabling system restore deletes all previous system restore points I seriously question its usefulness.

I misspoke before it does not track every file but only a fool would think it does not reduces IO performance. I think really what he should do is hammer out a "backup plan" instead of using an automated tool like System restore.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
IMO, if you feel the sudden need to backup the registry, you don't have a proper backup plan in place. I'd address that deficiency first. If you use an imaging application like Acronis True Image to make an image backup of your boot partition, you not only have a regsitry backup, but everything else on the boot partition as well.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online