1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I block anyone from accessing my laptop

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mfletcher, May 15, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. mfletcher

mfletcher Thread Starter

So here's the deal, for whatever reason, my boyfriend has complete control over every electronic in our home. I'm not sure if it's because of insecurities or to block me from certain websites that he's been on. I love the guy so much but I'm tired of feeling like I'm being controlled with no way to release. I can't even journal without the fear of it being accessed. I have no release. I'm a mom with 6 kids.... I have no life, don't go out of my house that often and never have any visitors. He blocks websites I visit trying to learn anything I can about computers and tech support. I am connected to 4 different virtual networks that I never added. And he plays stupid and just gets furious. So what I'm trying to do is, disconnect from all virtual networks, somehow, erase all the configurations he's made on my pc, and be able to access websites again without it telling me something about the dns isn't found or blocked or whatever.... it's frustrating that it only happens to me, never him.... yet he says I'm tripping. I recently purchased a netgear nighthawk router and told him to not touch it cause I want to learn how to connect it and set up the parental stuff and all that. I haven't done it yet and he's itching to get to it.... if I can get some tips on the best way to configure that as well, would be very helpful. Thank you so much.

2. Sponsor

3. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    First thing is I would get rid of him and his control.
    If it is your home, then send him on his way.

4. mfletcher

mfletcher Thread Starter

true dat! lol but other than him doing that, he's amazing.... and honestly, it doesn't bother me if he feels the need to make sure I'm not sneaking around on him or whatever because he's been in some pretty messed up relationships. I honestly don't think he's going on questionable sites or cheating. I think he's got everything in his control for a piece of mind. It would be nice to figure out how to get proof and show him I know he's doing it and figure out why. I mean, if it's all to block me from seeing what he's doing unfaithfully, I would get rid of him like it's nothing.... been down that road before and I don't tolerate it. But if it's just because he's insecure because of past relationships, it's whatever... I have nothing to hide. Thanks for the your wise words though lol :)

5. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    Are you going to replace the current router with this new one?
    If so, how do you plan on keeping him from messing with the settings?

Remember that the "parental stuff" stuff is controlled by Windows and NOT the setting within the router.
    For you to have this control, you MUST have an administer user account.
    What type of Windows user account do you have at this time?

6. mfletcher

mfletcher Thread Starter

I am the admin over my laptop. and no he will not have any passwords to the new router. I didn't know I could replace my comcast router with the new one. is there something I can reference for instructions on how to do this?

7. mfletcher

mfletcher Thread Starter

is there any way for me to see if there are any ad hocs on my network? I'm pretty sure he's set one up.

8. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    All he has to do is press the reset button on the back of the router and he can lock you out of the router by creating his own new SSID and password and not telling you what the new pass is. If he wants all the control, I wouldn't be surprised if he tries this.

Trying to block someone living in the same household by using a router that anyone has physical access to will not work.

9. mfletcher

mfletcher Thread Starter

well in that case, would anyone be so kind to give me some tips on how to monitor things.... Such as possibly seeing if he has some kind of remote access to my pc? it does show some new task events scheduled... and new services that will not let me have access to things on my pc. when i bought yesterday, I made sure to disable the remote access and blocked my pc from being seen on my network. But he's been working with computers for over 20 years now and i'm new to all of this. I know my way around the internet and some things within the settings and what not, but I don't know all the internals and every IT stuff like he does.... where would be a good start? Anything I should read up on to learn how to manaage my network and pc would be helpfl. thank you guys for your response

10. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    If you have an Administrator account, then you should be able to override (change) the settings that he has been making to block you access.

11. mfletcher

mfletcher Thread Starter

By any chance do you know of any links that could explain how to do all of that? I know how to do parental blocks but I remember reading somewhere, something about port forward or redirecting... and comcast doesn't explain crap on their website or when you call....

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1210256

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice