how do I block downloads?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bluewaves19

I have a Dell Inspiron 2200 laptop with Windows XP on it. I share my laptop with two other people and I am trying to find out how to restrict the ability to download things. Everytime I get on my computer, they have downloaded something and I want to restrict that because it is slowing my computer down. I have looked in the control panel and can't find anything but I have heard of people being able to block downloads. If you know how please help me figure it out.

Do you mean stopping downloading of anything, or the installing of software that is downloaded.

Just surfing the web requires the viewed pages to be "downloaded" so I dont think you mean stopping anything being downloaded, just installed?

If you cannot achieve what you want with a limited user account under XP, there is add-on software such as this: http://www.shareup.com/Install-Block-download-26114.html

But failing that, a baseball bat may work?

bluewaves19

Thank you, I will try that software. I put it under a limited account but I think that things can still be installed. They are installing music programs and downloading music, plus games off the internet. I hope that works!

In internet explorer you can click tools, internet options, on the security tab click custom, scroll down to downloads and check the 'disable box'. This allows you to surf normally.
I am sure there is then a way to restrict access to these options so the box can't simply be unchecked if someone knows where to look, but I'm a limited user on this computer with restricted access so I can't have a look.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online