1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I burn a DVD?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by sussextraveller, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sussextraveller

sussextraveller Thread Starter

I'm fairly new to computing and I've just been given a relatively new computer which has Windows XP Professional.

I have been told that it has a DVD Writer, but I don't know how to access it and if it has how to burn a DVD.

When I click on My Computer there is an icon which says DVD-Ram Drive. Clicking on the icon brings up a screen which says CD Writing Tasks, but there is nothing about writing a DVD.

I have been thinking about buying a kit to transfer some VHS videos to my PC, but I then want to burn them to a DVD so I really need to know if this is going to be possible.

Help with this problem would be much appreciated.

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Making your own DVD is a two step process, first you need to rip the video from the VHS tapes to a compatible format to be used with DVD authoring software.

http://www.dvdstyler.de/ (this only makes Video DVDs) FREE

FAQ on the program
    http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/dvdstyler/index.php?title=FAQ

The better kits include all the software you need to do what you want.

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Run the Nero InfoTool to see what kind of drive is installed and what operations it supports.

What does "relatively new" mean? Windows XP is not a new operating system, and most computers have not shipped with it installed in several years. Video capturing and editing is pretty resource intensive. The computer needs to have enough power for that. You might want to learn a bit more about the system before investing money into it.

4. sussextraveller

sussextraveller Thread Starter

I've made some enquiries and been told that the computer is about a year old and originally had Windows 7 but for some reason the computer supplier changed the operating system to Windows XP, although I don't know why.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917163

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice