1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I burn DVDs?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by kduchen, Dec 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kduchen

kduchen Thread Starter

Hi! I got a dvd player that plays cd-r and cd-rw. What is the software I need to burn them on my computer? Also, I have 16X- 80minute 700 MB cd-r's. Is that okay? My computer is a sony vaio brand new with 2 disk drives dvdrom abd compact disc player and a rewritable drive. Thanks for any help!!!!!!!!!

Kristin

2. Toddles18

Toddles18

Usually a burning program is included with your cd burner, such as Easy CD Creator, And Nero Burning ROM. Those CD-R's you mentioned should be fine. As for buring a DVD I don't believe that you can do that, these drives are very expensive and I doubt that one was included on your computer.

3. Rockn

Rockn

I think you need to buy a DVD-ROM.....around $3000 US i think

4. deuce

deuce

Actually the price on DVD-R has come down substantially over the past month. Right now... to buy a DVD-R drive as a single component I think they run about $500 USD. Since about two weeks ago Sony has implemented DVD-R drives in the their VIAO digital studio line. Currently you can get a P4 with RDRam, CDRW and DVDR for about $1400. I think they went on sale with retailers last week.

5. bacon

bacon

DVD-Ram drives are $500 not DVD-Rom burner drives difference being Ram is juse a 4.8 gig cd and is not a TRUE Dvd as DVD-Rom is the real thing. But for 4.8 gigs your good to go. Also nero is the best for burnings 'VCDs' If you wish to essentially rent a dvd and be able to copy it, you will need to go through a ong process of ripping that DVD onto your computer(requries dvd player for your pc) then Converting it to a mpeg which can be done while ripping then Burning it onto CD as a SVCD which is usally a 3cd thing. But well worth it if your a dvd fan. anymore quesitons lemme know

6. kitmac

kitmac

Hi kduchen,

There is another option - just like ripping your audio cds to mp3 format.

There is no way you are going to fit ALL of the Gigs of data on a DVD onto a 700mb CD-R.

But you can use a software package to rip the dvd into divx format (available from <a href="http://www.divx.com" target="_blank"> DIVX.com</a>).

You lose a little of the quality but it's still good. Plus, you need the divx codec (available from the same site) to be able to play them back on your PC. But as long as you cut out some of the dvd extras such as subtitles and zoom availability, you can output the ripped dvd to a filesize small enough to fit a 700mb CD-R.

Like anything though, it takes a lot of practice to get it right result.

Best Regards
    Kit

7. kitmac

kitmac

Hi again,

Sorry, if you are using a standalone DVD player (rather that one connected to your PC), you would need to use another programme to convert the DVD rip to MPEG2 (VCD) format and then burn the VCD files to the CD-Rs.

Kit

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61322

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice