1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I bypass "Switch User" screen, after ScreenSaver to login as another in Vista?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by chatguy, Feb 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chatguy

chatguy Thread Starter

Hi All,

Whenever someone in my family walks away from using the computer with Windows Vista, after the Screen Saver, I'm always taken to a screen that allows only the last user to log back in, but when someone else wants to log in, they need to hit the "Switch User" button to choose a different name.

My question is... Can I have the computer just go back to showing all the users' names (so I don't have to click the "Switch User" button to login as me). I would like this to work, just as XP did... so if the last person who used the computer has to log back in, s/he would just have to click their name again...just like XP did.

Thanks so much!
    CG

2. Sponsor

3. rainforest123

rainforest123

Hello & Welcome to Tech Guy Forum.

Which version of Vista have you?
    RIGHT click "computer".
    Left click "properties".

Right click a blank spot on the desktop.
    Left click "personalize".
    Go to screen saver.
    Do you have a check in the box to "display logon screen"?

On my Vista 32 bit Business computer, I have functionality such as you desire.

RF123

4. DanDini

DanDini

I think what he's saying is that it is set so that it goes to the welcome screen, but in Vista it defaults to the user that was logged in and active when the screen saver came on. You have to click log on as another user to see all the accounts at this point.

Do you actually want the user to be logged out, or are you happy leaving them logged in as a 'switched user'? (which is what would happen if someone else logs in at the point you describe).

5. chatguy

chatguy Thread Starter

Thanks Dan! Yep--You're right. After "Mike" walks away, for example and the screen saver goes on, if "Debbie" goes to the computer next, she will see a prompt for Mike to enter his password...but instead, she is forced to click "Switch User", before she sees the list of all of the users (where at that point, she would click "Debbie", then her password). In Windows XP, after the screensaver, you are immediately taken to the list of all users, which is what I'd like to do here, if possible.

As for your question... Yes--It would be definitely be good if I could leave them logged in. At least the system should have enough memory to support that.

Thanks again!
    CG

6. rainforest123

rainforest123

On my Vista 32 bit Business computer, I have functionality such as you desire.

Do you have a check in the box to "display logon screen"?

RF123

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/687787