1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I change hard drive parameters?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by KMFDMputer, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KMFDMputer

KMFDMputer Thread Starter

I learned that for whatever reason, the original settings have been changed and it's probably the reason for my headaches with it.

So I went into setup, but I just don't see where I can change the parameters. I'm pretty sure that if I can do this, the drive will finally be able to defrag, and it really needs it. It hasn't been drefraged since January, easily.

2. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand

I think you should a bit elaborate your question.
    What settings do you want to change?
    Can you open the drive in "My Computer"?
    Do you get error messages when trying to defrag?
    Or what are the symptoms?

3. KMFDMputer

This isn't something that I can get to by way of "My Computer" I believe.
    This may have to do with how the drive was partitioned in the first place.

I've learned that the current settings are probably wrong and is the root cause of why Scandisc is having trouble reading everything on the drive, which in turn causes Disk Defragmenter to stop working at 10%.

The original drive parameters were: for 1st: 63 sectors, 255 heads, and 1,024 cylinders.

The current (and most likely wrong) parameters are: for 1st: 63 sectors, 255 heads, and 788 cylinders.

I should have asked this from the outset, but will changing the parameters mean the destruction of the data? Like I'll have to start over with the drive? Maybe this isn't the right forum for this, if so I'd appreciate it if a moderator could move it to its proper place.

Thanks. :)

4. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand

I think you have an OEM PC like Compaq or DELL. In other BIOS-es it would be obvious, how to change these settings. I suggest you to look up the manufacturer's website.

In my experience changing heads-sectors-etc settings will not erase data, but most likely will make it unreadable, until you get back to the the proper settings. By the way, any BIOS these days should be able to detect the drive's parameters. Put your hard drive into another PC and check the parameters.

5. KMFDMputer

OK, granted you're most likely right, but before I go through the trouble (and danger of moving and handling a possibly unstable drive) is there something I can look for in the computer's BIOS?

I could be overlooking something very small. And are there any DOS commands anyone can give me to change the drive parameters? Or is this something that can only be changed through the BIOS?

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If the drive data is readable now, that LAST thing you want to do is change the drive geometry in the BIOS! That will insure that it will be unreadable!

Why don't you specify the symptoms you are experiencing and let us try to help you solve the real problem?

7. KMFDMputer

I did specify the symptoms in another thread with a related problem. I thought the question I raised in this thread warranted a differert thread.

At any rate, I appreciate the input and I just fyi I have given up on fixing the drive because I have exhausted all possible fixes. (the lateness of this reply is just due to schedule)

The drive is still functioning, but it's obvious that its time is limited.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487180

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice