1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I change my modem from COM5

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dugj56, Jan 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dugj56

dugj56 Thread Starter

My problem is with my laptop and modem/NIC card. I installed a Xircom REM56G-100 combo network and 56K modem in my Dell Latitude XPi (PCMCIA slots). Windows installs the modem to COM5 and the NIC and modem work fine. But I have a program that allows me to dial into my office network and this program only allows COM 1-4 as options for the modem. So now I can't work from home and actually have to drive in! COM1 and COM3 are empty. How do I (or can I?) switch the modem to COM1 or COM3? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

2. angel

angel

If you aren't using your serial port, you should be able to disable that in BIOS. Then try removing and reinstalling the card. Maybe it'll pick up that com port.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64061

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice