1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how do I change RAM frequency?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ghostofwinter, Apr 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ghostofwinter

ghostofwinter Thread Starter

Okay this might sound like a strange question but normally its a simple measure of putting in a new RAM chip when you want to add RAm to your desktop. strangely my new CPU ahs run into some preoblems with adding the RAM.

when I built my PC is january I wanted it to have 2 GB of DDR 2 RAM. however something is dodgy- when I put in two RAM chips into my motherboard it crashses every time without fail I ahve checked the slot configuration for the RAM and it's in the right position. however wen I put in one rAM chip it works fine.

A friend suggested I check my RAM frequency and how many channnels, but I have no idea how to change/chekc this. My motherboard manual is not helpful at all either. any ideas anyone?

by the way, the RAM chips are perfectly fine. I checked them out on someone elses CPU and they work alright. might be a problem with the motherboard, but I somehow doubt so.

for your info:
    motherboard: MSI K9N NEO V3
    ram: 2 kingston HYPERX DDR2 !gb

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

They may well be fine but sounds like either they are not really compatible with the motherboard or each other. Whether or no they work in another pc is meaningless. What matters is if they are listed at the mobo makers site or ram makers site as compatible specifically for your board.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Some of the higher end memory requires you to increase the voltage in the BIOS to a higher value for it to work properly. What is the exact model of the HyperX memory you have?

Also its unclear if you have other RAM in the computer that does work correctly? Do you?

4. ghostofwinter

the exact model? let me check.

is 'Kingston HyperX accelerate Gaming' the model you're looking for? on the packaging
    it just says kingston DDR2-800 1.0GB HYPERX
    on the plastic packaging it reads:

KHX6400D2LL/1G
    1GB MEMORY MODULE 1GB PC2-6400 CL4 240in DIMM

and no, I do not have any other RAM chips in the CPU except the single stick of kingston atm.

by the way the compatibility report for the MSI motherboard cna be found here :
    http://global.msi.com.tw/uploads/test_report/TR10_1244.pdf

the closest I cna find to mine is this one: KHX6400D2LLK2/2GN and this one KHX6400D2/1G which are found in the ddr2 800 and ddr2 667 sections respectively.

5. RoBe

RoBe

6. ghostofwinter

alright so I'm guessing its 'adjust memory speed' to 2.0v? what if thisn field is greyed out? its greyed out at 1.9v and I can't change it.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I believe you have to change the Memory settings to Advanced then it'll let you change the individual settings for the RAM like he voltage.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703265

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice