1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I change the size of my icons on my desktop?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by techguy41, Oct 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. techguy41

techguy41 Thread Starter

How do I change the size of my icons on my desktop?

Please help me
    Thanks

2. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    What version of Windows are you running?

3. Deke40

Deke40

On my W98Se go to Control Panel\Display\Effects\tick "Use Large Icons" and they will look like the ones in the image below or you can do it through the Accessibility Wizard where you can change the size of text and fonts also.

Attached Files:

4. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Also please let us know what version of Windows you run so I can move it to the proper forum .... Thanks ...

5. techguy41

techguy41 Thread Starter

I run Windows XP, Please tell me which forum you are moving this to!!!

6. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    It's moving to the Windows XP/NT/2000 Operating system forum but all you need to do is click on the link here and it will take you to the post.

7. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    In XP, I have my scheme set to Windows Classic so I'm not sure if you're settings are the same but right click on the Desktop, select Properties. Then click on the Appearance tab and then click on the Effects button.

8. techguy41

techguy41 Thread Starter

That works for me but the box that says use big icons isnt checked so i checked it and my icons went twice as big. How do I make then smaller than i already have them???

9. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Not sure but I'll play around when I get a few minutes or maybe someone else will know before I find it.

10. Deke40

Deke40

Try this but it might change all your icons.

Right click an empty area on your desktop, Left click Properties - this opens the Display Properties box - click the Appearance tab, click the Advanced button - under Item, scroll down to icons. To the right you will see the icon size; default is 32.

11. Flags

Flags

Techguy: What resolution are you using. If its 800 x600, everything looks large.
    Try changing it to something larger by going to Display properties/Settings tab and moving the slider up a notch or two. Mine is set to 1024 x 768 on a 17" CRT monitor and the icons are not too large.

12. fhaslangka

fhaslangka

Try running registry editor (run>regedit) then got to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics then at the left panel look for the string named "Shell Icon Size" and modify the value (32 is the default value) if you don't find that string just create that string and set the value that you like. Then log off your computer to see the result.

13. bats

bats

Bryan,
    For those people reading this post who use the windows 2000 operating system, you can change the size of the desk top icons by following these simple directions: go to a blank spot on desk top(right click), hit PROPERTIES then the display box comes up, go to the APPEARANCE tab and look for the ITEM drop down box select ICON and you will see the size set at 32(you may change to whatever size you want).

14. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Just to add to this, I'd advise that you write down the "before" values of whatever you do change. I've seen quite a few people change so much, then not like it and not remember how to get back to square one. There are ways to get back because all of the changes are registry changes but if you just write down what you change and it's value before you change it, you should be fine.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/282204

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice