1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How Do I Check Memory Speed To Upgrade Memory?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by coalhalo, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. coalhalo

coalhalo Thread Starter

I want to upgrade the memory of one of the pc's in our house. I get low memory alerts often and I can't delete much else to create room. I have never opened up a pc before, and I don't want to screw up and make things worse. The pc in question is a HP Pavilion a1150Y with a Intel Pentium 4 (3.00 GHz). OS is Windows XP SP2. It came with 512MB RAM and I would like to go up 2GB. I went to www.crucial.com, ran the system scan, and it says that this type of memory can go into that pc: "DDRII memory with support for DDR2 PC2-4200,DDR2 PC2-5300,DDR2 PC2-6400,DDR2 PC2-8500 speeds." I don't know what speed I should be installing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Sponsor

3. Blazintails

Blazintails

You can go into the machine and take the ram out and see which speed it is. Make sure when you open it up, that it is unplug'd completely. Also touch the metal case before putting your hands inside to reduce static elec shock to the motherboard.

The ram is very easy to take in and out. Write down all the numbers and return the ram to the machine.

If you want to upgrage to a faster ram than what is in it, feel free to do so.

If you are lery of doing it yourself, you might want to take it to a shop or have someone knowledgable in upgrading it for you.

4. Gnomad

Gnomad

According to HP your motherboard only supports up to DDR2 PC2-5300, while the faster DDR2 PC2-6400,DDR2 PC2-8500 will work they will only run at the speed of the DDR2 PC2-5300. Crucial memory upgrades are guaranteed compatible so all of the ones that they reference on their site will work, you might as well not waste money on anything over DDR2 PC2-5300.

5. coalhalo

coalhalo Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I'm planning on upgrading to 2GB and I'll check TigerDirect and NewEgg first for any deals. Do you have any recommendations for one brand over another?

6. coalhalo

coalhalo Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. I appreciate the info.

Someone else said I should go with DDR2 PC2-4200. But like I said in my original post, I don't know squat about the speeds. So you're saying I can go up to 5300?

7. Gnomad

Gnomad

It looks like your system came with the DDR2 PC2- 4200, so that is what I would probably use.

8. Blazintails

Blazintails

Its always wise to check the motherboard manufacture for their recommended ram to use with that board.

Also a lot of the memory manufactures give a lifetime warrantee. So its up to you what you purchase.

9. coalhalo

coalhalo Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice, I think that's exactly what I'll go with then. Any reason I should pick one over the other besides price?

10. coalhalo

coalhalo Thread Starter

Thanks again. Everyone has been a big help.

11. Gnomad

Gnomad

I would, and most always use Crucial memory. They guarantee compatibility for your computer.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644722