1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how do I clean my drive???

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by hashim, Dec 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hashim

hashim Thread Starter

I want to upgrade my OS from Windows 98 to Windows XP. I have an IBM Desktop.

Windows is located on Drive C. I have 2 other drives, D and E with a few gigabytes left.

How can I move everything on my drive C to drive D? Or, what exactly can I delete? I tried to move one folder to D from C and then there were errors so I changed it back.

I would like to upgrade but need more space on Drive C, how can I move things from C so that I have enough space on it to upgrade?

I am lost. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Why do you think you need to move everything (what does 'everything' mean?) to [D] from [C]?

Do you mean you have your HDD partitioned when you say you have a [D] & [E]?

Since imho multiple partitions are not needed unless you're a official OS tester dual-booting commercially, I'd backup all your sensitive data (Internet Explorer Favorites, Netscape Bookmarks, Outlook Express contact lists, letters, pictures, databases, spreadsheets, music, etc.) to removable media for restoring later from the [C], [D] & [E] partitions, then delete the extended logical disks (partitions) in reverse order of creation, so that [C] is the only partition, using 100% of the drive, with fdisk. I assume [C] is set to be your active partition. Then install WinXP, if your system meets al the recommended requirements (not the minimums). Then sometime after the XP installation over Win98, XP would be an upgrade right? You can delete then WinXP uninstall information if you see you like XP and that would save you some more diskspace. A full version of XP would require a fresh formatted drive. [email protected] :)

3. radio operator

radio operator

It sounds like you only have ONE hard drive with a couple of partitions on it. It makes it a little more difficult to change OS.

Firstly, can you confirm you only have ONE physical Hard Drive.

If you only have one, then you are looking at wiping the whole hard drive to put the new OS on.

Before you do, you really have to back up all your files, they will be lost forever if you dont.

Also, are you aware of the requirements for the Windows XP OS, It is a memory gobbler. You need a fairly large hard drive & lots of ram AND a big processor to make it work properly.

Post back if you want to continue.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63120

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice