1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I configure dual monitors with laptop on docking station and external monitor?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by whitrich, Sep 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. whitrich

whitrich Thread Starter

I have a Dell laptop on a docking station running Windows 7. Everyday I place it on the docking station and use my 20 inch monitor. Is it possible to activate the dual monitor feature and use the 20 inch as the primary and use the open laptop as the secondary monitor? If so, what should my settings be?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The value of 'Multiple displays' (see attachment) should be 'Extend these displays.' You may have to switch the positions of the two monitors (at the top of that window).

Attached Files:

3. whitrich

whitrich Thread Starter

The "multiple displays" option isn't showing up. Any suggestions?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm pretty sure that means only one monitor is detected. The screen shot I showed is with an HP laptop/docking station/external monitor. On the computer I'm now using--laptop only--the same window shows only one monitor and no "Multiple displays" option.

Maybe your docking station disables the laptop screen if there is an external monitor? I don't know if any docking stations do this, but can think of no other reason for the laptop screen to not appear.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!