1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do i configure SATA drives? and hot to copy information from IDE?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dashdanw, Mar 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dashdanw

dashdanw Thread Starter

I just got 2 Maxtor 3.0Gb/sec 80 GB SATA Drives from a friend who pulled them from the Sirius Sattelite Radio servers (pulled because they were generating too much heat). Im not sure if there is anything i need to do before sticking them in in terms of pin settings or whatnot? im going to attempt to run 2 IDE drives and these 2 SATA drives in the computer permenantly.

Also if i wanted to run primarily off of my SATA drives now and use IDEs as storage space, how can i copy everything on my current IDE drives over to the SATA drives so i can boot my OS and everything else i have on my comp at the moment off of them?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes you can clone your current drive to sata. You do need to do some things first.

1 Make sure you have your sata controller drivers installed and the sata controller shows as working before you clone the drive.

2 Next the destination drive [sata] needs to be blank ie no partition info on the drive at all. Delete ALL partitions on the sata before starting the clone. Once that is done, boot with your cloning app [I use and recommend acronis true image] Choose source drive [old ide] and destination [sata] drive. Complete the clone.

3 Note very important once the clone process is complete, shut down DO NOT reboot with both drives connected. Now pull power from the old ide drive. Power on the system and enter the bios. Check to see that the sata drive is listed as the boot drive [It should default to the one drive connected however it never hurts to check] Save settings and restart. Check to see that you can boot, drive letters are correct, and everything works. If all is well, shutdown and reconnect your ide drive. Restart and enter the bios, note some boards will default to the ide as the boot drive so check to see that your sata is still the boot drive. Restart and the os will assign the next available drive letter to the old drive.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I forgot. You asked about jumpers. There are no jumpers for sata; it is one device per channel. You may see a jumper on the back of the drive. It is for speed limiting if your board only supports sata1. This limits the drive to sata1 speed.

4. griffinspc

griffinspc

Now maybe you know this but you didn't say and I'd assume if you did know this then you'd know the answer to your own questions. This is somewhat complicated. To start you'll need to know whether your machine can use SATA drives. You'll have to check the manual or tell us the make and model of the machine or the motherboard and power supply. SATA drives use different connectors than your two IDE drives so that's the starting point to answer your questions. SATA drives also use different power supply connections than IDE drives. Your machine may or may not have these connections.

5. dashdanw

dashdanw Thread Starter

im using an ASUS m2n4-sli with 4 - 3.0g/s SATA ports im going to make a sig of my computer specs now that im pretty dedicated to this forum when it comes to help/helping with computers.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

When you do the clone, make sure you enter the bios and check the boot drive. Asus bios is probably the worst for reordering boot devices.

BTW I have cloned ide>sata quite a few times without problems.

7. griffinspc

griffinspc

That would be good. From your first post I was making an assumption that you were pretty much in the dark about hardware. Seems you're not. ;)

8. dashdanw

dashdanw Thread Starter

ive been doing my homework...for the past year haha, never stop learning with comps though
    dont want to act like i know what im talking about cause that can turn out badly for me when it turns out i DONT know something haha

tech specs should be in my sig btw

9. dashdanw

dashdanw Thread Starter

do u think i have enough wattage to run these new drives? speaking of which thats one thing im not sure on, how do i calculate how much wattage im pulling atm?

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Well 500W "should" be enough HOWEVER allied is very low quality. With a ps, quality is much more important than a wattage rating. If you had an antec, sparkle, fortron type ps, it would be no problem.

In any case I would be looking at replacing the ps. A few years ago I had a system brought to me that would not boot. When we attempted to start the system, the allied ps exploded. The ps took out the mb, cpu, ram, video card in fact everything except the keyboard, mouse, and optical drives.

11. dashdanw

dashdanw Thread Starter

what about thermaltake? do they seem good? also ive been having problems with devices not working proerly or not working at all! could that be a powersource problem or does that have to be a motherboard issue?

12. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I personally haven't had any issues with the two Thermaltake supplies I have in systems here, but I've heard others mention their quality is somewhat variable. I think the brands crjdriver mentioned are the best bet.

13. griffinspc

griffinspc

I run two ThermalTakes and have no problems either. I think they're well engineered. I also have one box with an Enermax that I like a lot.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/553825

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice