1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How Do I Connect 2 Computers to 1 Printer & One Internet Cable Modem?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bizwiz2, Apr 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bizwiz2

bizwiz2 Thread Starter

Hi,

I was told that I can use a wireless router to connect 2 computers to a single printer & also connect both computers to the internet via a single cable & modem. How would I do that? I think I understand the internet part. I need a cable from the modem to the router and then two cables from the router, with one going to each computer. Is that correct? If not, please enlighten me.

Then what about the printer? How would the connections be configured so that either computer can print with the one printer?

Thanks.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can either connect the printer to one of the machines and share it, or buy a print server so that the printer is independent of either machine. The only downside of connecting it to one computer is that you'll need that machine to be on to print (obviously). :)

What you described with cables all around doesn't require a wireless router, though a wireless router will do the job, as they also have wired ports.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/353048

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice