1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I connect my desktop to the wireless internet WiFi hotspot?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by miniman, Jan 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. miniman

miniman Thread Starter

1st. I have a desktop and nearby there is wireless internet WiFi hotspot. Please I would like to know how can I connect it to the wireless internet WiFi? I am thinking of buying this: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/802-11n-150mbps-wifi-wlan-wireless-network-usb-adapter-53538

Apart from that adapter do I need something else?

2nd. Where the desktop is, I have no reception. I mean because my cellphone has no reception when it is in the same place where the desktop is. But when I put my cellphone in the window around 12 feet away, there is reception. So I am wondering if I can make a 12 feet long USB cable from the desktop to the window and with the Wifi/WLAN Wireless Network USB Adapter in the window.

Any suggestions and help?

Thanks

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

To whom does the Wi-Fi hotspot belong? For whom is it intended?

3. miniman

miniman Thread Starter

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Thank you.

That adapter may work. How strong is the signal at the window? Something like this has a better chance. I don't know anything about that adapter, but my point is that it has an external antenna (much better) and it is removable so that you can replace it with a better one if necessary.

I don't know about using a 12 foot USB extension cable. It may degrade the signal too much.

5. Pew446

Pew446

What about a powered USB extension cable?

6. miniman

miniman Thread Starter

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1037325