1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I connect my phone to Azio bluetooth?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by FarRed, Oct 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FarRed

FarRed Thread Starter

I just bought a Samsung A437 phone and an Azio Bluetooth dongle. According to the phone's manual, I should be able to connect to the phone to download photos, but the Bluetooth software can't detect the phone. Any ideas?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

FWIW, I have a Motorola RAZR with BT, and even though it should connect, I had to use the cable to maintain the contacts and download/upload media. Have you tried a cable?

3. FarRed

FarRed Thread Starter

I've read thru the manual and it makes no mention of a cable to transfer data. However, and the charger port apparently doubles as an earbud port. I wonder if it triples as a data port. What kind of cable are you using on your RAZR?

BTW, the BT dongle appears to work, as I'm picking up a nearby computer ("Cardinal computer", but not in my house), just doesn't see my phone. Bummer.

4. Soundy

Soundy

Silly question, but are you following the phone's instructions for pairing as well? It will need to be set as visible before the computer will see it, and for a lot of phones that's only a temporary state (it will be visible for maybe 60 seconds).

Also (and this applies to JohnWill's problem as well), check into updates for your BT dongle's software/driver. I have a cheap offshore BT dongle and the Blue Soleil software that came with it was very clunky and didn't even fully support the Headset protocol... I got an updated version of the software, and suddenly everything worked perfectly.

From what I can find, that phone uses a standard mini-USB port for charging and headphones, and it appears that also works as a data port (only makes sense), so no special cable should be required, but software might be. Most manufacturers and carriers provide Susteen DataPilot (except for Motorola phones, which use Mobile Phone Tools), but the open-source BitPim may work with your phone as well.

5. FarRed

FarRed Thread Starter

Hmmm... I turned on the phone's BT and it was seeking or listening or whatever it is called. I thought this was all automatic? Turn on the BT and they're supposed to automatically find each other.

The port isn't USB, neither micro or mini. It is wide a very thin.

I'll check on the updates.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Not to hijack the thread, but I know about pairing, and I've written several Bluetooth applications too boot. It really doesn't work with the RAZR and the Motorola Phone Tools drivers. :)

7. Soundy

Soundy

No... by default, on most devices, Bluetooth will need to be told to search for other devices... and if you want it to BE seen, you need to set it as "Discoverable". Some will allow you to MAKE that the default, but most don't come that way. It's too much of a security risk - would you want your phone, out of the box, to be visible for anyone to connect to?

Once you set it as Discoverable, you can tell your software to search for devices, and it should find the phone, and allow you to pair them. After that they should find each other automatically when they're within range of each other.

BUT... double-check the documentation for both phone and software - what I've described is relatively common, generic behaviour, but may not be exactly accurate for yours.

Ah, okay... it will need a proprietary data cable then. Here are a few examples:http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_tr...ung+A437+data+cable&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Make sure you look for one that includes the software!

8. FarRed

FarRed Thread Starter

Downloaded the latest update, which went remarkably better than most software updates. No help, however. As far as the phone, the only BT settings are on and off. Just before putting my PC's BT into search mode, I turn on the phone's BT and wait, and wait... Eventually the PC times out.

Seeing as this is an ATT service, I'll wander down ot the local ATT store and ask them how it is supposed to work. The manual indicates it should work, but I wonder if ATT disabled it.

9. Soundy

Soundy

There has to be another option, somewhere, to make the phone Discoverable.

That's always possible, but the Discoverable option would still have to be there somewhere.

You can always try making the PC Discoverable as well, and let the phone search for it. Once they're paired, it's a two-way connection; it shouldn't matter which way the connection is initiated.

Edit: actually, found the manual online... from reading the BT section, it appears the phone won't support anything other than the Headset profile, and you're right, it only has On and Off options (regardless of ATT). So you're looking at a data cable if you want to transfer files to/from the phone.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/760506

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice