1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do i connect XP or Vista to windows server 2008?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by nappymonster, Apr 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nappymonster

nappymonster Thread Starter

Hi all,
    I've just set up windows server 2008 for my home, but how do i now connect to it. The computers are mostly XP, though some are vista, so instructions for both would be great.

Also, is there anything specific you suggest doing to windows server 2008 before use? I've downloaded updates, but don't really understand the roles. What i want my server to do is let me log on, from any of my home PCs, as "nappymonster", access all my files, print to our printer, etc. And the same for 3 other accounts on about 6 computers.

Thanks,
    Nappymonster

2. srhoades

srhoades

So, you basically want us to walk you through setup up and configuring active direcotry? You are in over your head.

3. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Before you start, XP must be Professional only, and Vista must be either Business, Enterprise, or Ultimate.

The home versions (or Media Center XP) cannot connect to a domain.

Setting up an Active Directory domain isn't as easy as you may think. It requires setting up DNS first, then installing and activating Active Directory.

Networks are not as easy as they used to be.

Courtney

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What do you hope to accomplish by running Server 2008 there? I suspect you'd be MUCH better off with something like Windows Home Server if you really feel the need for a server in your environment.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/708079

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice