1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do i convert AA files to Mp3

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by 49sam, Dec 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 49sam

49sam Thread Starter

Hi i have just bought some audio books from Audible and i thought the web site said i would be able to play them on various players, but they have downloaded as AA file types and will not play on my mp3 player.

So does anyone out there know a AA to mp3 converter please.

I have bought and paid for these files but i am unable to play them can anyone help please.

Also if i can convert them the file size is very small does anyone know what bit rate in mp3 is the same as the AA file type please.

2. lister

lister

AA files have a proprietary DRM protection built in - I think answering may be against TSG rules?

3. 49sam

49sam Thread Starter

Ok thanks anyway it seems i have bought them and i carnt luse them. i will read the small print next time thanks anyway i thught there would be a catch somewhere.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

Do you mean AAC files? If so then that's Apple's format. You can use iTunes to listen to it and also burn a CD of it, depending on the license the store allows you to do.

5. 49sam

49sam Thread Starter

No the files are not AAC they are just AA file type. and they are audio books

Yes i can burn them to CD then rip them from the CD to mp3 but i dont want to do it the long way round, i thought i might just be able to convert them.

It not as if i have not paid for them i just did not realise they would be in this AA format

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

i didn't realise that there was an AA file extension.

I guess ask Audible to see what they say about using it on your MP3 player. If they can't help you then I guess you will have to go the long way round.

7. 49sam

49sam Thread Starter

Yes i have already asked Audible and they say it carnt be done. I guess they dont want to sell me anymore book because they dont wanh to help

8. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

it kind of bites but AA is used as a form of DRM just as lister sugested. Answering questions on how to convert it will most likely get the thread closed. But just remember if you can hear it you can record it :)

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

I dunno DM... I've seen some moderators on our side when its about music that was purchased... ;) :D

As for a program, this is a free to try. It may be what you need: TuneBite

Mods: remove the link if it is against the rules. I've seen different stances on purchased music

10. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

I was surprised to see AA listed as a convertable format by TuneBite Couriant. I know River Past Audio Converter could do it but they were threatened with a lawsuit by Audible.com and have removed the ability from the more recent versions of it. The most recent version doesn't even recognize AA files.

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

Perhaps it's a rouge one, or Audible hasn't seen it yet.

12. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

I just saw that it's only 30 secs of recording :(

13. 49sam

49sam Thread Starter

Thanks guys i dont want to get anyone into trouble or anything like that.

But i have paid for these audiobooks all i want to do is use them on my mp3 player

thank for the info

14. lister

lister

I guess you can 'burn them to an audio CD'?!! As it says so on their website?
    Then you would have an audio cd that you could use as any other?

15. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

Lister:

1. Download audio and transfer it to your mobile audio device or burn CDs.

problem is from its native format, no player supports AA files.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/524296