1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how do I convert my old computer monitors into video security monitors

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by huggie, Nov 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. huggie

huggie Thread Starter

Hi Everybody...... Hope I am asking this question in the right forum... I have a couple of those little wireless CCTV security cameras. I now have them connected to two 5 inch B&W portable TV with video input and audio input connections. they are working pretty good only for the fact that they are only black and white video screens, the security cameras are color and I was trying to hook them up to two 13'' color computer monitors. Can these 13'' computer monitor be used for security monitors and if so how do I convert them?

Thanks....Hope someone can help!

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Do you have a PC to run them through? Or do you just want to go from camera to Monitors?

3. huggie

huggie Thread Starter

just from camera to monitor...

4. x_saosin_x

x_saosin_x

do you have video inputs in the monitors?

5. huggie

huggie Thread Starter

no,,,

6. x_saosin_x

x_saosin_x

you could try asking electrical shops if they have any video/audio to montor crossover boxes,

like the video/audio to scart boxes they have.

duno how else it could work

7. huggie

huggie Thread Starter

ok, I will have to ask around. I thought that maybe I could get a cable that would connect to the back of the computer monitor and it would accept the video input cable from my security camera and then view it on the computer monitor.

Thanks for your help.....

8. x_saosin_x

x_saosin_x

what inputs do you have on the back of the monitors, apart from the one that goes to a graphics card

9. huggie

huggie Thread Starter

There are no video inputs on my computer monitors,just a power cable and a nine pin parrellel cable that connects to the CPU of a computer. I am just trying to recycle the monitors and use them as two seperate video monitors for my vide security system.

10. x_saosin_x

x_saosin_x

connect to the cpu? u sure

11. huggie

huggie Thread Starter

yes they are old computer monitors they have square connection that has (sorry I said 9 first) about 12 pins and it is about 3/4 inch long with two screws that connects to the video card of a computer.

12. x_saosin_x

x_saosin_x

you said cpu, as in the central processing unit,

and i said about the one the graphics card.

well anyway have a look for a thing in an electronics shop.

13. huggie

huggie Thread Starter

ok will do .....

Thank again for your help....

14. gr8tdane

gr8tdane

15. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

But I think you will be horrified when you find out the cost of the conversion boxes, it's a complex thing to convert a VGA monitor to AV input...

I suspect buying some cheap 14" color TV's with AV inputs may be the cheapest option?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/419870