1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do i convince him!!!!!

Discussion in 'Games' started by thegrigginator, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thegrigginator

thegrigginator Thread Starter

i just bought dawn of war 2, and my dad tells me i am not allowed to play it at all, as i will get a virus or worse from playing it :/. i know that this isnt true, and i keep telling him and explaining how, but he wont listen. can u guys please post something that i can show him that will make him let me play it? my life depends on u, so please help!

2. gyrgrls

gyrgrls Banned

Do you have your own computer?

Are you on a home LAN?

No, you won't get infected simply by playing
    a mmorpg online. You know this. I know this.

To address the real issue...

It seems that one of two things are happening:

1) Your dad is using scare tactics to control you.

2) He really believes that viruses/malware can spread through the internet
    (and he is right).

But mmorpgs themselves don't spread viruses or malware any more than
    do email, newsgroups, discussion forums (such as this one), or etc.

It's the internet! OF COURSE you can be exploited/infected/harassed/molested/zombied/Dos'ed/, etc.

But online gaming is no more risky than online chat, or downloading email attachments.

Look on the bright side: When you're 18, you can get your own place, set up your own
    network, and do whatever you damn well please with it. Until then, it's your Dad's internet,
    and he calls the shots.

Happy new year.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

People seem to come here infected quite often as a result of online game play. Unscrupulous people use game connections for other purposes at times, but it is often through messaging or other apps used at the same time that people end up loading malware.

But if you virtualize your machine, then you can't catch anything no matter what you do. Take a look at Returnil Virtual System, DeepFreeze, or even Microsoft's Steady State. If you use one of those, you can recover your machine from any problem that arises.

We risk catching malware every time we connect to the internet. It is part of the risk we all assume in order to live in a connected world. It makes no sense to avoid using a computer for your purposes simply because you might get infected since that is always a risk for everyone all the time. Just take precautions, use a machine that can be restored easily, and use the computer the way you choose. You can even play the game from a live CD if that becomes necessary. Or partition your drive and install your own operating system that can be restored or reinstalled if it gets infected.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970853

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice