1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I create a drop down list from another drop down list?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Guil, Dec 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Guil

Guil Thread Starter

Hi My friends,

I use excel 2003 and want to create a drop-down list right after selecting a choice from another drop down list.
    For example: from a first drop down list of different brand of cars, the second drop down list is created listing different models of the brand of the car that i just picked up in the first list. Lets say we have three list and we want to select and make a drop down list according to a choice from another drop down list.
    Is that possible doind this without using macro and instead using only the validation data / List and source?

Other question: from a choice from a drop down list, a pain brush picture will be displayed on another excel cel. is that possible?
    Can someone please help? Many Thanks.

2. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Hi there, welcome to the board!

For your first question, do a google search for excel dependent validation as your keywords. You are talking about dependent validation. As for your second question, can you clarify what you are talking about a little more? Possibly a screen shot or example?

3. slurpee55

slurpee55

Guil, do I understand correctly - are you wanting the user to pick, say, Chevy, and then Nova and then that selection would cause a picture of a Chevy Nova to appear in another cell?
    The first is relatively easy, per firefytr's suggestion. As for the second, you could hyperlink to photos, I suppose. I don't know of another way to do it, although firefytr may. I would be concerned about the file size if you actually managed to store the pictures with the Excel file. Sounds more like something you might try to do with Javascript....

4. Guil

Guil Thread Starter

Excellent firefytr, excel dependent validation were the keywords that i was looking for.

Regarding my second question, slurpee55 got the idea. I intend to pop up a picture according to a choice made from a drop down list. For example a drop down list of fruits. If a pick an apple a picture of an apple will be displaced onto a next cell. Any other help on it

Thanks a lot for the prompt answers firefytr and slurpee55.

5. OBP

OBP It's My Birthday!

Guil, I actually have an Excel database that does just what you are talking of in terms of displaying a Picture (jpg) upon selection of a Combo box. I am not sure that you can fit the picture in a Cell though unless the cell is of reasonable size.
    It uses some basic VBA to load up the image from a folder which holds all of the images.

6. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Access handles embedded objects much better than Excel. You can do this though, but it can be tricky. You need VBA for it. There was a fancy way of doing this with just formulas and defined names, but I cannot find the reference anymore. Here are some related threads though...

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/lookuppics.html
    http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?t=104322
    http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?t=85068&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=20
    http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?t=244001&highlight=vba

HTH

7. Guil

Guil Thread Starter

Thanks for all guys .. problems sorted out ... many thanks

8. slurpee55

slurpee55

Great! Guil, please use the thread tools at the top of the page to mark this thread as Solved.
    BTW, I would love to see how you do that in Excel.... :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/657889

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice