1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I create a single user environment?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Alessia-C, Jun 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alessia-C

Alessia-C Thread Starter

Having just purchased a new laptop with Win XP Professional installed I am having significant problems in recreating the Win 98 environment I am used to. I have already switched to Windows Classic view throughout and set up categories under Start Menu > Programs so that I can keep everything clean. Unfortunately XP works with multiple users so I have 2 Start Menus which is really peeing me off.

It's MY computer and I will be the only person that uses it so how do change XP into a single user environment (All users only)?

2. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

3. saikee

saikee

I set up my XP professional on one user. All it take is to sign in as the administrator and delete all the other accounts and then rename the Administrator to the name you fancy. Still need to click your account to go into the desktop, but you can paste your picture there and it is a kind of cool arrangement. I don't use p/w either so no different to the XP home front end.

4. Alessia-C

Alessia-C Thread Starter

Ok Saikee, I have done this and it logs me is an administrator automatically without requiring my password nor showing me the welcome page with list of identies. This may be because I have configured it to Windows Classic throughout.

The only problem I still have is that my first identity is still there complete with separate Start Menu, Accessories and Programs folders. If I delete the identity in Windows Explorer will I cause havoc?

Alessia

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'm not at all sure why you're so fixated on having a single identity only. :confused: One problem that can happen in such a scenario is you corrupt your user account, and can't login to Windows. You're sunk, since you've removed the administrator as an alternative account.

If you want the machine to just come up to the desktop without any prompts, that's easy, use TweakUI for XP to set an automatic login.

6. Alessia-C

Alessia-C Thread Starter

I haven't removed the Administrator account, neither have I removed mine. I know it may sound odd but I bought my laptop for my use only as in NOBODY will have access to it other than me. In all previous versions of Windows others could share a computer but for those not sharing it there would be a single identity with only one Start menu. It's the 2 Start menus, 2 Programs, 2 Accessories, that I don't like.

For instance, when I install a program its shortcuts do not get placed in All Users/Start Menu/Programs, they get placed in my own personal Start Menu/Programs folder instead. I happen to find that intensely annoying although I can see the benefits it has for a multiple user scenario.

7. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

you can't remove the administrator account. it's gotta be there.

i'm the administrator/user, don't log on/don't click on an icon to get into windows and it's all done from the admin applet in control panel.

8. JohnWill

You can't remove the All Users start menus, it's a basic feature. If it really bugs you, you'll have to consider a downgrade to W98 again. :)

9. Alessia-C

Alessia-C Thread Starter

When did I say I wanted to remove the All Users start menus? It's the other ones that I want to make vanish. Never mind, it's obvious that what I wish to achieve cannot be done.

10. JohnWill

You need a user account of some kind, and you also need the All Users account. However, you are correct, you can't do what you want to do with 2K/XP AFAIK.

11. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I am not quite sure what the heck she is trying to do.

12. rude

rude

If it's just a matter of not wanting to see anything other than YOUR NAME on YOUR COMPUTER,why not just mark everything you don't want to see as "Hidden".Select any folder that you don't want to see,right click on it, select "Properties" and at the bottom of the "General" tab, mark it "Hidden".When the next box opens up make sure that "Apply changes to this folder,subfolders and files" is selected ok,apply,ok and you're done.

You can always view the hidden folders by going to Control Panel/Folder Options/View and selecting "Show hidden files and folders"

13. Alessia-C

Alessia-C Thread Starter

Thank you. thank you, thank you! That's what I needed. Why your nickname is "rude" I fail to understand? You certainly weren't rude to me.

14. JohnWill

The problem with simply hiding the All Users folder is that stuff is still installed into that Start Menu, depending on the specific application being installed. I guess I never really did understand where this all was going??? :rolleyes: :confused:

15. rude

rude

I have kids (and now grandkids)and I understand the "ME/MINE" thing!It's not how it is that's important,it's how it looks.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/240616

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice