1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I create a webpage for a 41 page document?

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by sarasara, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sarasara

sarasara Thread Starter

Hi Folks,

I have a 41 page booklet and permission to reproduce it online. I want that when people type the name of this doc into Google that they get a link to go and read it in full. I will have to type it myself from the original. I need to upload illustrations as well and would like to have the text laid over a colour background. Very importantly I want the webpage to be free as I have limited resources. Would be most grateful for advice.

Thanks,
    Sara.
    :)

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Why not just make a PDF out of it and put it online.

3. sarasara

sarasara Thread Starter

Dont like PDF files, I would prefer a nicely laid out site as I described. :)

4. sarasara

sarasara Thread Starter

Thanks for all you help everyone

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Jay
    Maybe Google Docs ????
    Does your ISP provide personal web pages ????

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What format is the file in? A Word document? What program are you using to view it?

7. sarasara

sarasara Thread Starter

Hi Noyb and DoubleHelix,
    No I checked with my ISP and they dont. The format is a 41 page booklet which I will have to type out myself but I dont mind that as I would like to present it well. Really I am just looking for a place to host it and then just leave it for anyone who types in its name into the search engine.

8. caraewilton

caraewilton

Well you could put it on a blogger account. These are free. Then choose the template, set a page and type it in. You can also upload illustrations or what even else you want...

9. sarasara

sarasara Thread Starter

Thanks, I had thought of that but my experience with Wordpress put me off. I'll just have to go back to the drawing-board for a while, I have no confidence that one 45 page long blog entry would be easily found in a search. I need a dedicated page. But thanks everyone.

10. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

A 40+ page document just isn't a good format for a Web Page.

11. JVeitch

JVeitch

Squashman was right, the best way to do this would be with PDF. These can sometimes confuse people if they don't know what they're looking for and can be a bit of a pain for some older machines to load. I can definitely understand why you wouldn't want to use one.

If you really don't want to go through that route, the best way would simply be to make a downloadable Word document.

May I ask your level of experience with HTML and webdesign? A 41 page transcript really isn't suited for a web page. If you really, really wanted to - you could just make a full website out of the document that lays out the pages chronologically with next and previous buttons in a frame somewhere.

If you need help with that, hit me up with a PM.

12. sarasara

sarasara Thread Starter

Dear J Veitch,
    Thank you for your very kind post. Indeed I am very familiar with Word and it would not be a problem. It would be very readable. Yes a PDF would be easier because I could scan in the text. I just hate the PDF format but it is a serious consideration. I suppose my question was where can I get a free website.
    So yep, I think I can sort the doc out, I mean I'd still need a website for the PDF. Good thing about a Word doc is that I can upload better copies of the images.
    Thanks,
    Sara :)

13. JVeitch

JVeitch

If hosting is all you need, I'll be more than happy to provide you with some. I've got a lot of web space that I don't use. If it's help with the design of a page, I'm less available - but I can always help here and there :)

14. dukevyner

dukevyner

agreed...weather you like it or not... PDF is the best way to go

15. challapradyumna

challapradyumna

You can create Anchor tags at each page and put all of them at top of the page.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025244

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice