1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I create an Alpha Channel?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by starchild, Jun 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

I've been looking in searches, but it seems kind of complicated and one went into a lot of detail, but seemed to relate to a game called QUAKE

I downloaded a free plugin for PSP and Photoshop (and put it in each) and tried it in PSP tonight. It says it requires an alpha channel.

The plugin is for adding snow to a picture, and even has a setting for watcing it fall (I'm not sure if this is animated or not. I'm new to plugins and effects/filters)

One of the websites I found about making an alpha channel showed the tab for channels on photoshop. So, I know where it is there (not sure about PSP)

I have PSP7 and Photoshop6.

I have an idea it's changing the texture in places on the picture, and maybe making some parts a bit transparent, or not as dense?

It's late, and I thought if someone could explain it simply (how to do it) or knows of a basic tutorial I could follow, that would be more direct.

Thanks,

~ Carrie

2. uly7

uly7

My guess here is, that is asking you for a alpha channel of your picture or part of your picture ( that part at which you like to use your filter). For example, I 've seen this dialogs boxes in actions, but never in a filter, unless this is an actions an not a plug-in. What is the name of you plug-in?
    Need more info.
    Uly7

3. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

the plugin is VDL (VanDerLee) snowscape. Another one was also given (free) snowflake, which does work. It's sort of like spatters (you can adjust) on the picture.

I found, in searching, that others were asking the same thing, about this plugin, but didn't find any answers with specific directions.

I just found a HELP file on the plugin box that says it needs a layer with semi-transparent parts, which is where the snow shows. when it hits a solid color it stops and builds up.

I once had a screensaver that said SEASON'S GREETINGS (I think you could change the words) with snow falling on it. It would build up on the letters and on the bottom of the screen, if undisturbed. I wonder if it was made with this plug in?

Since it involves making layers, and this is something I've not really gotten to (and learned) in Photoshop (or PSP) it might be a good place to start.

Making some of a layer semi transparent, for snow to fall and pile up on, sounds kind of tricky. Photoshop has a magic eraser that makes things transparent.

I find it easier to get specific step by step directions, because otherwise I get into something and get totally lost.

~ Carrie

4. hewee

hewee

5. uly7

uly7

In the file that you download (SnowScape) is another file name;SnowScpe.chm. Open this file and it will show you exactly what you need.
    Uly7

6. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

Okay, thanks for the info

I read the tutorial (sometimes things are right in front of us and we miss them :) and have the idea now.

It's also starting to get me into learning about layers.

At one time there were 3 tool boxes down the right side of PhotoShop6 and the bottom one was a HISTORY (showing the steps, or layers in this case) there was a tab to click on that said LAYERS to make new ones, which would then show.

Now that I'm trying to make a layer, this box is no longer there. Only the top one (preview) and second (colors, swatches, etc)

I've been looking all over the settings and can't see anything that clicks to show the bottom box, with the STEPS one is taking and LAYERS tab.

There is a LAYER heading up top and "make new layer" which seems to do the same, just not she it, to click on and choose (between layers)

Anyone know what I mean and how to get it?

In PSP there's a place to show the TOOLBOX and bars and click on which ones we want to see.

Thanks for the google results. I wasn't putting in alpha channel, I was putting in "requires alpha channel".

Again, sometimes it's right in front of us.

Or, me

~ Carrie

7. uly7

uly7

Hola
    In Photoshop go to Windows/Workspace/Reset Palette Locations an you will get all your palettes back.
    If you close any palette in PS, you can go to; Windows/and you will see all the palettes there.
    Uly7

8. hewee

hewee

For PhotoShop I like Russell Brown Tips and Technique.

http://www.russellbrown.com/body.html

Don't for to click on the MORE TIPS link.

Hope you have cable to see all the movies. :D
    It is nice when it shows you how to do things.

9. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone.

I've been focusing more on learning/practicing lately, it helps me feel like I'm doing something productive. Even if I don't know what I'm ever going to do with it.

Maybe just enjoy it.

~ Carrie

10. uly7

uly7

There is some things in life that we "Have to Do" and another ones that we "Need to Do"
    I believe that "Enjoy Life" is a thing that we "Have to Do, and We Need to Do"
    Have fun
    Uly7

11. hewee

hewee

Your welcome and have fun. :)

12. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

I stayed up till midnight, downloading and looking at the Russell Brown tutorials!

I have dialup so it's slow. Now the ones I got are on my desktop and I'm going to change them onto a cd and do more. Even if they're slow, once I have them, they then open fast (in QT)

Some of them involve layers and this is something I've avoided getting into so far, because it seemed complicated :)

But, seeing how they work by using them (in tutorials) helps.

As to doing what I need and want to do (and enjoying it) there's not much I was doing otherwise, that was useful or productive. So, not a problem doing what I feel enjoyable instead. I was never good at, or felt "housework" was creative. I think the idea is to do something creative, get rich and pay someone else to do the boring chores.

:)

~ Carrie

13. hewee

hewee

Wow sorry about the slow dialup speed.

I also download them all to my PC. He is great to listen to also so and I like the way he tells and shows you how. (Not like some others I have seen at other sites that say do this or go there and you still have to find out what and where to go to find it.)

Will I downloaded the the two web page all the movies are on and all the files and have them and the folder they are in is 214 MB so your be busy getting all of them but I think your be happy you did.

14. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

I started downloading them a few at a time, and then saving them on a CD

You're right, they are great!

And very clear to follow.

Some tutorials I have tried to follow, but get lost because it doesn't seem like I have what they are saying. Even though I have the same version.

Got kind of sidetracked on this, yesterday I changed ISPs (dumped Earthlink for several reasons), and got the same as I had with them, including newsgroups, and what (so far) seems like a better, faster connection for $5 a month less from Kingdom Connections. I thought this was just in our area of Vermont, but they have access numbers all over.

I looked up my new IP number and for some reason it comes back to Adelphia. Which I thought was just cable and not in my area.

Oh well, as long as it works good :)

~ Carrie

15. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

About Adelphia...

Maybe Kingdom Connections leases or uses their lines. Or shifts to them when it's busy, or something.

~ Carrie

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/234866

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice