1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I decrease margin size in Access

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by wedor, Nov 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wedor

wedor Thread Starter

I can get it down to 0.25 easily but it would help to have it go smaller( I'm printing on forms) is there any easy way to do this or an available registry hack?

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Hi wedor. Long time, no see.

This is probably more dependent upon your printer more than Access. I just put my margins to zero, and it changed them all to:

Top: .116
    Bottom: .116
    Left: .116
    Right: .55

The report I used is landscape and, therefore, the .55 is the bottom of the sheet (which usually need more of the paper to pull the sheet through the printer). My printer isn't capable of printing very close to the edge of the paper. If I took it to work, I could probably get closer with the "business-type" printers there, but most printers aren't capable of printing THAT close to the edge. I've got an Epson 880 now, but when I had an HP 694C, it didn't print less than .25 from the edge (I'm not sure of the exact distance, but it was close to this).

Even if you downloaded and installed a print driver for a printer that IS capable of printing that close, you'd have to be sure that anyone who prints it has a printer capable of the same.

I think you're better off squeezing your stuff in or using larger/longer paper.

Hope I'm making sense.

Just something else you might want to know. If you've set, for instance, a textbox that will only contain up to 20 characters to be a 50-character field, the wizards will allow the 50-character space. So you may have fields that don't need to be as wide as you've got them. I'm figuring you know this already, but want to be sure.

If you want, I'll be happy to take a look at it. Just run repair/compact and email to [email protected]. We'll see if we can't squeeze the stuff in there...

3. wedor

wedor Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response. I can get the information on the form, that part is easy, the trouble comes in where Access wants to create a second page to hold the non-existant margin space( if I'm making sense this time). Some parts of the form I am printing to are quite near the edge of the paper, I can get the information to print in the correct location, but them I have the problem of every other page being blank. This is complicated by the fact that the form has an original and a copy. I do try to stop by the forums here at least several times a week to at least lurk a bit and to toss in a bit of advice or glean a bit of knowledge where I can, time constraints have limited my participation on all the forums I visit.

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Add the width of the margins, the width of the sections, etc., and make sure it doesn't exceed the width of your paper. Often, you just need to squeeze the gray grid area inwards a little bit from the right or bottom.

5. wedor

wedor Thread Starter

That's the problem, at least one of the boxes on the form is within an eighth of an inch from the pages edge, the right side to be exact. I can play around to get it all on one page but then things don't always end up in their proper boxes on the form. So you think this is totally a printer related issue? and not fixable from an Access standpoint? if so I will approach it from that angle. Thanks for your input so far.

6. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Making the margins less than .25, yes, that's a printer issue. Open Word, try to set ALL margins to 0. When you're done it will say it can't--Fix or Ignore.

If you choose ignore, it will leave the zeroes. If you choose fix, it will give you the lowest margins that your printer (the currently chosen printer) is capable of.

7. wedor

wedor Thread Starter

I can get down to .166 top and bottom but it will only drop to .25 right and left. Oh well, if I come up with a different solution to this I'll let you know. Thanks again for the effort.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!