1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I delete everything off my laptop and make it like new again?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by wendypretty1, Jul 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wendypretty1

wendypretty1 Thread Starter

I have a virus on my computer that I'm not willing to spend the money to get rid of, so I've come to the conclusion that I'll just reboot the damn thing to where it's new and suffer the hassle of having to download everything back, ie pictures, music, etc.
    I have a Dell Laptop Inspiron 1545 with Windows 7. How do I get everything off of it completely? (As far as some recovery disk or even manual, I don't know where it it or anything in that nature. Isn't there some kind of button I can press in order to just get rid everything, except what it originally came installed with?) Thanks.

2. captainron276

captainron276 Ron

3. davehc

davehc Trusted Advisor

Not drifting off thread, but. When you have completed your new install, I recommend you make an image. To purchase, none better than Acronis. But there are several free ones also. Macrium comes with a high reference ( http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx )

I have several on my computer at any time. One is for a raw install - activated. Another is with my own full customisation. After that, I periodically make images according to my usage and installations of new software.
    It takes about 10 to 15 minutes to put an image back. It will then be identical to how you Os was, at the time of making that particular image. - No reactivation or fiddling required. Only requirement is to make sure you have a separate copy, somewhere safe on your computer (NOT on the proposed image partition), of your on-going personal files - probably, those by default stored under your username.

4. captainron276

captainron276 Ron

Ditto what Davehc said!!! Acronis is the one I use and have been for a couple of years:)

5. buf

buf

[unauthorized malware advice deleted by mod]

6. buf

buf

Wendypretty1, were you able to remove the virus, or whatever it was from your laptop? I haven't seen a post from you since your first post and I am just curious. Wish you well.

7. 1002richards

1002richards Trusted Advisor

You can use a version of Linux called Ubuntu. Full guide here: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/17044/move-files-from-a-failing-pc-with-an-ubuntu-live-cd/

It's free and legal. Depending on your experience you may need to follow links within that guide for additional instructions. The version of Ubuntu has changed but the principles remain the same.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1062893