1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do i delete hidden and locked files?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by RayW, Sep 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RayW

RayW Thread Starter

Is there an easy way to delete all the deleted files still left on my computer? I have a key code for a program that only works once, I erased the program and when I put it back on it wouldn't take my old code. ANy ideas or help would be great! :cool: Thanx

2. mike5532g

mike5532g

Eraser

If your trying to "extend" your trial period of a program, I doubt if Eraser will work.
    You would probably have to search the registry for every entry referring to the program and delete it, but, programmers know you will try this and do a good job of hiding these things. No harm in trying I suppose...haha:)

3. NT4.0

NT4.0

what program is that?

you could do it easier by opening the executable in a text editor and searching for registry keys. in many cases this would be faster as they are often written in plain text inside.

4. RayW

RayW Thread Starter

I think i found the file but what do I do once it is opened. Do i delete something or change something. There is some written text but most is symbols. Thanks

5. NT4.0

NT4.0

do a search inside the program for words like "software" -- if it yields something like HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\.... then you found a registry key -- just look it up, you will have to delete this key from the registry and the program should be working fine. i have had this with quite a number of programs.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/277076

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice