1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I delete partitions, format & install 2000?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sgl1, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sgl1

sgl1 Thread Starter

I stupidly installed XP over 2000 Pro and realized I couldn't go back. I then attempted to delete the partition but now what I have is a 40 gig hd with a 2meg partition and the rest I can't even find? It shows the drive but when I try to reformat it only shows 2 meg. I do not have a boot up disc other than a Win98 boot disc. I have the Win2000 cd and the XP cd but that's it. Thanks.

2. SexyTech

SexyTech

Hi There!

The easiest way would be to go to the Hard Drive maker's website and download their Diagnostics program. The Diagnostics utility from your hard drive maker shoudl have an option to "Write Zeros" to the drive. Run that and it will clean the drive completely(Like it was brand new.)

After the drive is wiped, simply boot to your Win2000 CD, Start the install & set your partition & format then complete installing windows.

Good Luck!

ST

3. rawmeat

rawmeat

If you start the 2k install from the DC, when it asks you where to put the installation, you have the option to remove/create partitions. Select that option and you should be able to remove the 2M partiton and create a new "C" partition of your desired size (4Gig would be the smallest I would choose), then you could create a second partition of the rest or wait until the install is complete and create it with Disk Management. Getting the manufacturers utility is a good suggestion, but I believe that this is simplier and easier.

Hope this helps!

4. sgl1

sgl1 Thread Starter

Thanks y'all. I will try that at lunch.

5. mobo

mobo

The format from the disk should be the best and easiest way to accomplish the task but in the event that it doesn't work out just bot with the 98 bootdisk and fdisk the drive to delete all partitions then reboot with the cd.

6. sgl1

sgl1 Thread Starter

Well seems I'm stuck. I cannot boot up from the win2000 cd and when I try to boot from the hd it tells me no operating system so it looks like I managed to delete xp when I partitioned. I can do a low level format I suppose but will that allow me to pop in the win2000 cd then setup straight from cd? I don't even know what the setup commands are or how to go about doing it. Al my previous exp. is with win98!!

7. SexyTech

SexyTech

It sounds like the Boot Sequence needs to be changed in the BIOS!

Make sure that CD-Rom is set for the First Boot Drvice.

Once that's done, then you're good to go.

If you still can't boot to the CD-Rom, then you can download the Win2000 Setup Floppies from Microsoft.

Good Luck!

ST

8. mobo

mobo

9. sgl1

sgl1 Thread Starter

Well that's great. I tried to copy the boot discs from that site and it wouldn't fit onto a floppy???? I'll try to make some from the win2000 disc here at work

10. sgl1

sgl1 Thread Starter

Now how do I setup win2000 from the boot discs? is it self explanatory or will I need to know what to type in in order to install as in win98 i.e.

D: setup

etc.?

11. rawmeat

rawmeat

To get the w2k boot disks on floppy, make sure that you quick format the floppies, makes more space on them.

12. sgl1

sgl1 Thread Starter

Yeah I did that but it didn't work so I just created the four boot discs from the win2000 cd. We'll see how it goes.......

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You can make the 4 setup disks from the win2k cd. There is a folder on the cd called makeboot or makedisk something like that. Open the folder and run the program, it will make the setup disks for you.

I would make sure your bios is set to boot from the cd as first boot device. Restart the computer with win2k in the cd drive; setup should start. When you are given a menu showing where to install win2k, choose each partition and delete it. After you have deleted all partition you should see one entry showing "raw" Now choose to install to the raw partition. Set will let you create a partition. I use 5-10 gig for win2k; os only. If you want to partition your disk into more than one partition, now is an excellent time to do so.

After you have made your choice as to where to install, you will be given a menu showing what file system to use. I use and recommend ntfs; it is the native file system for nt based os.

There is no need for win9x boot disks, fdisk, etc. These are win9x / dos utilites not nt utilities. If you really want to work in a command line enviorment, boot with the win2k cd and enter the recovery console. "Diskpart" is the nt utility for partitioning your disk.

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You beat me to it [using the cd to make the setup disks] I type too slow.

15. sgl1

sgl1 Thread Starter

That's the problem, I can't boot from the cd for some reason. yes, I went into cmos and changed first boot device to cd but it tells me ok but no operating syetem? So I have no idea what to do. I really have no idea what to expect from using these boot discs either but I'll give it a shot and see what happens!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!