How do I delete partitions, format & install 2000?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sgl1

Well I finally managed to format the hd with the editor from Maxtor (thanks Sexytech) and also booted from the floppies I was able to copy from the win2000 cd. So now 2000 is installed but I noticed I have a lovely little 970 meg partition on my c drive that I somehow managed to create and don't know how to remove it. And also now the os is giving my problems, like working real slow, pages in ie5 loading slow, etc. Could this performance issue be caused by that partition? Doesn't seem like it.

Be sure to get all the updates for w2k first. Then you can visit the Black viper site to shut down unnessecary processes. The if you want to proceed with deleting the small prtition i would suggest making an emergency rescue disk to be sure you can boot the installation if problems occur.
have you looked inside of the partition to see what is there ?

crjdriver

If you just want to delete the partition, that can be done from disk management. If you want to merge the partition into another one, [without destroying everything on the drive] then you will need something like Partition Magic.

Before deleting, make sure there is nothing you need in the partition. If by chance this partition is the boot volume, that is where the boot files for win2k are.

sgl1

No I managed to create it when I was screwin' around with fdisk. I think. All I know is nothing is there. It says drive c, 39789 meg and 970 meg used? Well, it's not used! And I don't wanna have to spend money on Partition magic just to use it one time, I'd rather just redo the entire mess and start over. I have 2 hard drives, I really have no need to make partitions as far as I know, other than for access speed maybe. And I have no idea how to look in the partition. I don't think I can cause it doesn't show as a partition?

To lok into the drive right cilick on the start button and select it then explore. If you don't see anything then by all means delete it. If you see the boot loader then leave it alone or reformat.

crjdriver

It looks like from your post that you created a 970 meg partition that is used and the rest of the drive is unallocated. If that is the case, then most definitely it will run slowly. It will have very little room for a paging file.

If you want to reinstall then I would do these steps in this order.

1) Boot with either win2k cd or the four setup disks
2) After setup loads choose to install to the current partition. The next menu allows you to delete the partition, do so. Next setup should display all of the drive as unformatted or raw.
3) Choose to install and setup will give you a menu that allows you to create a partition. By default it shows all of the drive. If you want less use the backspace key and type in what you want.
4) Since the drive is >32 gig [and you choose to use the entire drive for one partition], the only option you will be given as to file system is ntfs. Go ahead and format using ntfs.
5) After setup finishes formatting it will install win2k.
6) After the os is loaded, load in this order

Service pack 4
Chipset / MB drivers
DirectX update
Sound, nic, drivers.
Install video driver last
Now install apps and games.

You can boot from your win98 boot disk. Then type fdisk.exe and hit the enter key. The fdisk utility will walk you through deleting and re-creating the partitions. Restart your computer when prompted but still boot from the Win98 disk. Then at the dos prompt type D: to get to the CDROM drive. Then type setup.exe and it will startup your XP install CD. XP will automatically reformat the partition(s) you created and then install the OS.
bhill

crjdriver

Originally posted by bhill:
You can boot from your win98 boot disk. Then type fdisk.exe and hit the enter key. The fdisk utility will walk you through deleting and re-creating the partitions. Restart your computer when prompted but still boot from the Win98 disk. Then at the dos prompt type D: to get to the CDROM drive. Then type setup.exe and it will startup your XP install CD. XP will automatically reformat the partition(s) you created and then install the OS.
bhill
If you do that you will get a message “Setup will not run in msdos” While it is possible to install from a win9x boot disk, [the command at the dos prompt would be cd x:\i386\winnt [where x is the letter of your cd drive] not setup.exe] doing the way you have described will result in an install that will take many hours. This is due to the fact that the win9x boot disk does not run smartdrv.exe.

You can download smartdrv.exe and put it on the disk. You would type “smartdrv.exe” without the quotes.

I have said it many times before; if you are going to use an nt based os there is no need for win9x / msdos utilities. If you really want to use a command line interface, boot into the recovery console. From there you are able to partition / format / chkdsk, etc.

Just boot with either the win2k cd or the four win2k setup disks.

sgl1

Well thanks for all your help, but I got drunk last night and blasted it with a shotgun. I told it to work right but it wouldn't listen!!! Actually I will try Driver's advice because the first thing I did was install all the drivers first and now I'm havin trouble on the net, outlook won't download all my mail and gives me the wait error, the pages don't wanna load. Weird. So I'll uninstall them and try it that way.

sgl1

Well everything is back in order after a 30 min call to tech support. Seems my dial up settings needed to be tweaked. However, I have a fresh new problem now that really confounds me. Ya know how the modem makes that dialing noise? Well mine makes it through my speakers now even though I've unchecked every box I know about concerning the modem speaker!!! Any clue?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online