1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I delete user in Win98?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by BrianDiana, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BrianDiana

BrianDiana Thread Starter

Hi, I created a user with a password so it would be needed each time the comp was turned on, but now I don't need it and would like to delete it but can't. When I go to control panel - users and try to delete the user (it's the only one) it tells me that I can't delete the username of the person that is logged on and since I am the only user listed, I can't delete it. What does anyone suggest?

2. Solei

Solei

Hello,
    You need boot with admin's rights and then you will be able to delete the others.

3. Elf-stone

Elf-stone

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

W98 doesn't have admin rights. If you erase the *.PWL files from the C:\WINDOWS folder, you can recreate the users. When you create your new user, leave the password blank, and it'll stop asking you to login.

5. blaqDeaph

blaqDeaph

You mean boot as the administrator, because if hes the only user on the computer, its probably likely that hes got admin rights.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

There is no "administrator" with W98, there's very little security at all.

7. blaqDeaph

blaqDeaph

*DUH* *switches to windows 9x mode*

:( oops

8. hewee

hewee

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490354

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice