1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I delete?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by SSM, Jan 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SSM

SSM Thread Starter

I received an email from a friend(some friend) that had to be downloaded. It said so funny with a colorful icon. I don't know what it did or does. I thought I deleted it completely. However, when I log on to the internet my zone alarm warns me that MSDOS423 wants to connect. This is the so funny file with the colorful icon. I have had no luck trying to delete this file. When I try to delete it I get a warning that "can not delete MSDOS423. This file is being used by windows". When I hit control alt delete this file is listed as not responding. This file is only listed on the control alt delete list after I log on to the internet.

Your suggestions are welcome.
    THX

2. HKEd

HKEd

3. SSM

SSM Thread Starter

I did as was suggested and it worked. Should I delete the registry that was created in the instructions? If I should what is the best way to do this.

4. HKEd

HKEd

Yes...otherwise Windows will be looking for the file whenever it boots.

Go to Start > Run > type regedit and click on OK. Om the left-hand pane of the registry editor, click on the plus signs to follow this path:

+HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    +Software
    +Microsoft
    +Windows
    +CurrentVersion

Scroll down to the Run folder and click on it. In the right-hand pane look for msdos423. Click on that entry to highlight it and hit the Del key. Close regedit and it's done.

If you're not comfortable with the above, type msconfig in the Run box and OK it. Click on the Startup tab and uncheck any entry for msdos423. This will place the entry in the Run- key where it won't be a problem. It would be better to do the registry edit though. Good luck.

5. SSM

SSM Thread Starter

I did as you last suggested, I did not have the msdos423 file any longer. Before I edited the registry the first time I created a registry backup. This backup appears as an icon on my desktop. Can this be deleted? If so how.

Is there anyway to know if this virsus did anything to my computer or sent any information out?

Thanks again.

6. HKEd

HKEd

Hi SSM...glad to hear the registry edit went well. :) You can just send that registry backup to the Recycle Bin - right-click > Delete.

SoFunny does not infect any files and, although it is an AOL password stealer, it seems that ZA stopped any info from exiting your system. If you are using AOL, for peace of mind you should change passwords for your AOL dial-up, AIM, ICQ etc..

You should also keep your virus scanner updated on a regular basis.

Edit - got my worms mixed up. ;)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66996

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice