1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how do i detect what modem i have ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by graham4u, Dec 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. graham4u

graham4u Thread Starter

after reformating what was a tiny preinstalled setup to install win me i realised that i dont know what modem i have in my pc
    i have even tried taking of the cover but no identity on the modem card there is no driver cd with comp and it is just a back up reload cd with nothing on their to tell me what the modem is

please help im going mad here

ps this was posted using another pc i have at home but i need the other machine working asap

2. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi graham4u,
    Right click My Computer, select Properties, Click on Device Manager tab. Scroll down to Modems, click on the plus. It should tell you what kind you have.

3. graham4u

graham4u Thread Starter

it dosent as i havent been able to install the modem yet
    as explained above i have reinstalled windows with a new windows melenium but forgot to note down what modem i
    have so i cant even install it from the drivers that come with me
    i have tried to get windows to detect the modem with no luck

4. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi graham4u,
    Sorry missunderstood you. Have you tried: Start, Settings, Control Panel. Select Add New Hardware. Follow the prompts and see if it picks it up. Reboot first then do it. It never hurts to reboot!

5. graham4u

graham4u Thread Starter

thanks for trying but that dosent work either are ther any other ways of finding out what card it is

6. ratchet

ratchet

Shot in the dark,
    A friend (system analyst)told me if my system would not recognize my modem to remove it, reboot, shut down and then reinstall modem and boot.

7. swwelsh

swwelsh

See if you have a 'pci communication device' listed in device manager, probably under 'other devices'. Take that out and see if it will detect. It will probably not identify the modem even if it finds it, but you can try. If there are no numbers anywhere on the modem you can narrow it down by looking at the big chip on the modem, it will probably be Conexant, Motorola, PcTel, Texas Instruments (TI) or Rockwell, you might be able to find some generic drivers for the chipset. If it was me, I would not spend too much time on it, you can buy a new winmodem for under $15. If it has jumpers on it for setting the com port, it is a hardware modem and you should be able to install it as a 'standard modem' then use the diagnostics tab in modem properties to get the ID string for it.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62629

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice