1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how do i disable a person's ability to copy my webpage?

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by joyt, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joyt

joyt Thread Starter

hi,

is it possible to prevent people from copying and pasting text from my website? i've been told i need to dismantle the right-click feature but have no idea how to do it. :confused: in a chatroom?

if this is true, how is it done? it has become an irritatiing problem because i operate a chatsite. people copy and use the text on other sites to embarrass others. :rolleyes: :( :mad:

thank u,
    joy :)

2. Big-K

Big-K

Alright, first off, no-right-click scripts piss the pants off most people. Especially no right clicks OR left clicks. And either way a no right click wont help much because the people can simply highlight the text and use a keyboard shortcuts(bless them). And if youre that paranoid and use a script for both right and left, people can still get around it easily(such as with the no-script command in Avant Browser). I don't think theres much you can do about it, even though its a valid cause, except put a disclaimer or something of that sort.

The short answer:Theres nuthin you can do about it, sorry.

3. starchild

starchild

There's also doing a screen shot (with Paint Shop Pro) and I think "Print Screen" (but I've never used this).

I agree, when I see the no right click, especially if it has a rude message on it, like "oh no you don't!" or something, I feel all the more like taking it.

Not that I take a lot of stuff :)

I once made a website with original art, and the artist wanted the no right click on it anyway. I put it on with the message saying something like "all art on this website copyright by the artist, you can contact him at (email)" Which seemed polite.

You can find no right click scripts in google, put in "no right click script". Just copy and paste it where it says to on the page. And write something polite on the message that comes up if someone tries.

If you mean someone not getting the source code, I think maybe using a style sheet would make it harder. I'm just learing this, so not sure yet.

What I've been told is, if you don't want anyone to get it, at all, don't put it on the internet.

If it's art or photos you can watermark them or make them small, low resolution so they're not good for anyone to use.

~ Carrie

4. Big-K

Big-K

If it's a chatroom(like he means), then source code isnt an issue.

I've also never heard of the print screen method.

5. starchild

starchild

okay, he said website the first time.

I've only been in a few chatrooms and you can highlight and copy the text from it, at least some of it, that's showing on the screen. If you're fast, since it's moving.

I tried it once to see if it could be done.

You can also copy and save ALL the text from an AOL instant message box, which is the same idea. They have a function from it. Same with ICQ, asks you if you want to save the conversation.

Seems like the best bet would be not to write what you don't want someone else to copy and paste elsewhere to embarrass you.

I know, a conversation from one place (every discussion board, or email for that matter) can be used out of context, even changed, to make it look different and out of context.

There's a button on my keyboard that says PRINT SCREEN. I think it prints whatever is on the screen when you press it.

~ Carrie

6. joyt

joyt Thread Starter

heehee, for the record, i'm a she! i'll post a pic. ;)

correct, starchild, u simply highlight and copy the text, just like an IM. yahoo and msn have archive features.

the copier and paster runs http://pjj.cc/oddquads and uses the no-right-click feature there. :rolleyes: :mad:

carrie, i'll try the google suggestion. expect another follow-up! :eek:

thank u, carrie and big-k, :) :)
    joy

7. Big-K

Big-K

No carrie, print screen does not do that. What print screen does is take a scapshot of the exact look of your screen(whatever windows are open, programs, the start bar and taskbar, etc. EVERYTHING on the screen) at the time, then places it on the clipboard. From there you can paste the screenshot into mspaint or whatever photo editing program you use. That's how everything in the Show Your Desktop thread from Random Discussion works. Everytime you see a screen shot of something, it was most likely made with screen print(and possibly the crop command in the photo program), although there are some third party programs that do it.

BTW, that site doesnt have a no-right-click script, either that or I have scripts disabled. Like I said, people can still highlight and ctrl+c.

8. starchild

starchild

Sorry Joyt, I should have seen the flower avitar :)

Actually I thought when I wrote "he" I should go back and check- see if it was clear, but didn't.

And, a she being called a he seems to take it better than the other way around.

I looked a little in google, and found one but it seemed to be a function of the software the chat was using. Like users could disable sound, and such.

It might also depend on if you set up the chatroom yourself, and have access to the programing, can ad scripts, etc.

If you just set it up and can't do anything with the "guts" of it, (and this isn't an option the server gives you) I don't think you can do anything.

Just warn people that what they write can be copied. Someone could also copy it down with a pen on paper if they really wanted to.

There's also the option of just ignoring it. People who copy what someone writes on one board or chat and post it elsewhere (to prove a point or embarrass them) show more about themselves.

I've had someone repost what I've written on this (tech) board on a newsgroup, and repost personal emails. Everyone else just ignored it.

~ Carrie

~ Carrie

~ Carrie

9. mecury_2001

mecury_2001

here is a no rightclick script to place inside the body of your page. But like the previous posters have mentioned no right clicking just seems to "irk the heck outta some people" :eek: If you are worried about people stealing your source
    code from the view source option. There are encryption programs that can thwart this.But becomes a nusiance to you if you have to edit your page...So get it right before you encrypt :D There are many ways of getting print or pics off a website ( no need to discuss these) Like all before me have said if you don't want it copied or used just dont post it :) Tis a shame we have to worry about this, but Alas, tis the way of the web :p

all you have to do is copy and paste this into the body of your webpage and edit the messages marked in red ..to your taste

Im not really sure if it is ok to put scripting on this page If it is indeed wrong
    Moderator feel free to edit

<SCRIPT language=JavaScript>
    <!--
    // No rightclick script v.2.5

var message="place your message here" // Message for the alert box
    var message2="after clicking ok another message will appear"
    // Don't edit below!
    function click(e) {
    if (document.all) {
    if (event.button == 2) {
    alert(message);
    alert(message2);
    return false;
    }
    }
    if (document.layers) {
    if (e.which == 3) {
    alert(message);
    alert(message2);
    return false;
    }
    }
    }
    if (document.layers) {
    document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN);
    }
    document.onmousedown=click;
    // -->
    </script>

10. joyt

joyt Thread Starter

hey, thank u, mecury! :) i'll try that. ;)

carrie, would u believe that this chatroom's occupants are mostly 45 and older????!?

most of the people there are physically disabled, but please feel free to drop in. we're a kind lot :) ... well, mostly! ;)

joy

11. mecury_2001

mecury_2001

Your welcome :)

12. starchild

starchild

Thanks, JoyT

I clicked on it and it openned right up, which (to me) is a plus with a chatroom.

I usually get confused with them they move so fast.

I'm still consused about being able to put a not copy/paste script on a chatroom. I thought those were for webpages (like standstill ones :)

I've had someone repost what I write one place on another (out of context) to prove some point the person has decided is true about me.

I think others get bored with this, and it shows more about the person doing it than the one who's being copied.

The internet brings up all these new issues to learn about and deal with.

I see we both like rainbows :)

I've been told that rainbows are now a symbol of being gay. I'm not, (and don't care if anyone else is) but I like the idea of all the colors and we are all one (human beings on the planet earth, doing the best we can at the time...)

I remember when gay meant being happy.

~ Carrie

13. joyt

joyt Thread Starter

hi, starchild,

i'm glad u like it. we strive for simplicity and no bells and whistles. we all type so slowly that confusion isn't an issue! ;)

the reposting is pretty juvenile. :rolleyes: i put into place a whisper mode. maybe that'll help. :p

i love rainbows! i'm not gay; i thought of jesse jackson and his rainbow coalition. i remember when gay denoted happiness, too. maybe it's karma at work. :)

joy

14. mecury_2001

mecury_2001

Hi Starchild
    yes it is for insertion on a web page that is being developed. I misinterpreted what you were asking. :confused: My apologies :D

Mark

15. starchild

starchild

Okay, maybe we're all confused, but we're all happy (but not gay) :)

I like the rainbow coalition idea, too. Online, too. Nobody is any gender, age, color or looks. Just words (and what we make of them)

~ Carrie

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272477

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice