1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How do I disable NetBIOS in XP Pro?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by joeAgain------, Feb 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joeAgain------

joeAgain------ Thread Starter

Could someone please tell me how this is done, please?

thanks

2. Miz

Miz

Instructions are here.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The real question is why would you want to disable it? :confused:

4. joeAgain------

I had heard before that NetBIOS makes it easier for someone to hack your machine, and people should disable it.

I don't know much about it, but shortly after installing a firewall, I got a message that someone was trying to access me thru NetBIOS.

Is disabling it something you wouldn't recommend?

5. codexaenir

codexaenir

YEs... disable it... unless u really need it

NETBIOS POSES serious Security RISKS

6. joeAgain------

that's what I'd heard too for people on "always on" broadband like me.

but I still need help finding where to find it to disable it, please.

I'm totally new to XP Pro.

7. Dan O

Dan O

Native NetBIOS is disabled on 2000/XP by default, but it is supported using NETBIOS over TCP/IP.

To disable it:

Open Network Connections.

Right-click the network connection you want to configure, and then click Properties.

On the General tab (for a local area connection) or the Networking tab (all other connections), click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click Properties.

Click Advanced, click the WINS tab, click Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP button.

8. vesselle

vesselle

don't forget to add a good firewall, too. block them ports! ;)

V***V

9. JohnWill

I'd be glad for you to explain how with a proper firewall that NETBIOS poses any security risk. FWIW, in a small home network, you'll lose computer browsing if you disable NETBIOS over TCP/IP, since you don't have a local DNS server. File and print sharing from W9x systems to W2K/XP will no longer work. Here's one reference to some of the issues. http://www.petri.co.il/disable_netbios_in_w2kxp.htm

10. joeAgain------

Please forgive me, but this is really confusing for a newbie like me.

Maybe I need to explain my situation. I just added a new(2nd)computer at home. We are on a broadband connection and I've installed a router between the computers and in internet. I also installed a switch between the router and the computers so both computers can use the internet connection.

If I wanted to "file share" between the computers, I'd need a hub, is that right? (I may want to do file sharing between the hard drives on both computers some day). Is that possible if I disable NetBIOS?

I guess I'm just not sure what NetBIOS is.

I have software firewalls also on each computer. Is there a way to file share between them without the "dangers" that outsiders could access one of them(or both)thru NetBIOS?

would someone please explain, please?

11. JohnWill

With a broadband router, the ports in question are already invisible to the outside, and there is no risk. Scads of people, including me, run with NETBIOS enabled without issue, you just have to plug the security hole, which your router with NAT has already done. Since you have two computers that you wish to share resources between, DON'T disable NETBIOS over TCP/IP. You don't need any more equipment to file share, the switch is just a better form of hub, though in the case of two computers, it makes no difference. If they are now accessing the Internet through the broadband connection, you're ready to share files/printers.

12. joeAgain------

Thank you for that. I wasn't sure if the router did the job totally, or not.

would you please tell me where to make all the setting adjustments to file/printer share (again, Only within my little 2 computer system)?

I'm running XP pro on my new computer and Win98SE on the other one.

Thank you.

13. JohnWill

You need to have file/printer sharing enabled in the Network Properties in CP for the system(s) you have shared resources on. You then need to actually share files/folders from My Computer with the sharing option for them to be accessed by the remote users. If the computers are already connected to the Internet via the router, you already have valid IP addresses, so this should be enough to get you going.

Of course, if you have taken the previous advice and disabled NETBIOS over TCP/IP, my instructions won't work! :D

14. joeAgain------

thanks for the "how-to" info, Johnwill.

And I guess I can file share with one of the computers running Win98SE(and the other XP)?

Is everyone( codexaenir ?) in agreement that since I have a router, there is no security risk with setting up file sharing between my computers? This is all so very new to me.

(or am I still risking being hacked behind my router?)

15. JohnWill

Yep, I have a mix of 98, 2K, and XP computers, all of them share peacefully. :)

I don't know if everyone is in agreement, but I run a broadband router and I don't use a software firewall, however I have an updated virus scanner and spyware detector running. I have never gotten hit with an undetected virus, and no outside probes get by the NAT translation of the router.

For any system, I recommend good backups, I have several levels of backup for critical stuff on my system, including USB disks that are normally off-line, DAT tape, and CD-RW backups of critical development files. If every hard disk in my systems were to be simultaniously erased, I'd still have backup to recover with minimal loss. Life is too short to spend all my time worrying about what might happen, I just plan for the unexpected. :D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119183

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice